shot my first 1911 yesterday - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > shot my first 1911 yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
It's just the grips on the gun, not the gun itself.
but it makes no sense to buy a gun that you have to change from the start in order for it to be comfortable to shoot.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
but it makes no sense to buy a gun that you have to change from the start in order for it to be comfortable to shoot.
Simple, then don't buy it. Find one that's comfortable and that you're familiar with and go for it.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
one step ahead of you. there is a taurus and a S&W at bass pro and both of them feel much better than that kimber.
I had the same experience, though without shooting a single round. I went to the gun shop looking for my next project, which in this case is a 1911 (so that I could get out of the GLOCK fan-boy club ) and some of the 1911 just felt weird in my hand, - especially the Colt's. I got small-medium sized hand, and I just found the grip to be to thick, - and forget about handling the slide release without changing the grip drastically..... I finally got to handle a Taurus PT1911 and that indeed felt good in my hand, to the point where I think I discovered, what people mean when they say how the 1911's points good and feels "right". All I need now is for the world crisis to pass in order to get hold of some cash, and I'll be hopping along, to the gun store singing a song,...

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post
I had the same experience, though without shooting a single round. I went to the gun shop looking for my next project, which in this case is a 1911 (so that I could get out of the GLOCK fan-boy club ) and some of the 1911 just felt weird in my hand, - especially the Colt's. I got small-medium sized hand, and I just found the grip to be to thick, - and forget about handling the slide release without changing the grip drastically..... I finally got to handle a Taurus PT1911 and that indeed felt good in my hand, to the point where I think I discovered, what people mean when they say how the 1911's points good and feels "right". All I need now is for the world crisis to pass in order to get hold of some cash, and I'll be hopping along, to the gun store singing a song,...
I liked that old colt myself. The sights on it were a lot better, all around just a much better gun. I shot a lot better with the colt than the kimber.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 02-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #25

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
let me get the crayons to draw you a picture since it seems to be rocket science. my brothers is 20. he is good friends with his welding teacher who is pretty old now. my brother helps him out around the house and the farm. this particular person has a lot of pistols especially 1911's and my brother has been shooting them. so he decided he wanted one, and he found that kimber for 600 dollars. the teacher got it for him and let him have it because he helps him so much. its not in his name but he keeps it with him at the house and takes it to his buddies house to shoot. I see nothing wrong with that. We went to this teachers house to shoot some of his guns one day for fun, I shot 3. I did not like the kimber but my brother did.(which was the entire purpose of this thread) so I decided that I would let him have that one since he doesnt have the freedom to go to a gun store and pick out any gun he wants to buy it. where is the harm in that?
Yes, please draw me a picture. Since it is paifully obvious that you have superior cognitive reasoning, please enlighten me on how the felony is not a big deal since you see nothing wrong with the crime. I suppose it is less ammo for the Brady's because a teacher bought a gun for a student who travels around with a firearm the student is not legal to own or posess. I find it hard to believe that a teacher would put his/her retirement future in jeopardy for a 20 year old student. I imagine that is a healthy student/teacher relationship.

Which tech school is your brother attending?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Straw purchases are illegal and the FTF Community DOES NOT condone such behavior!

Any further mention of crayons, intelligence or lack there of is going to result in me asking Ineffable to stop by and discuss the finer points of Shame & Humiliation on the Interwebz, of which he happens to have a PhD Accreditation.

JD

Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Both of my handguns have been straw-purchased by my dad and transferred to me immediately after. Both times, we've explicitly informed the police of what we were doing, to make sure it was legal, and they've reassured us that it was fine.

EDIT: Although, I guess there's an exemption for firearms purchased as a gift (Wikipedia says so, can't find it anywhere official), so I guess I fall under that.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 02-05-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Straw purchases are illegal and the FTF Community DOES NOT condone such behavior!
Dillinger, you being the moderator, perhaps you should bump this thread to the forum called "Illegal firearms"...

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
Both of my handguns have been straw-purchased by my dad and transferred to me immediately after. Both times, we've explicitly informed the police of what we were doing, to make sure it was legal, and they've reassured us that it was fine.

EDIT: Although, I guess there's an exemption for firearms purchased as a gift (Wikipedia says so, can't find it anywhere official), so I guess I fall under that.
A purchase by your father and gifted to you, or handed down, is not a straw purchase violation. There are conditions in the law that address that ( Where are Robo and Scubie and glasshartt ?). In the case of pistol, I do not think you can legally be handed down said firearm if you are not of age, but I might be wrong on that. I am not a lawyer, nor do I have any formal law training. LEO's???

However, if you and I were to go to the gun store, and you did not have legal right to own said weapon ( felon, under indictment, illegal alien ) and I purchase the weapon for you, or with your money and my name on the paperwork, then turn around and hand it over to you, that is a Straw Purchase and is definitely illegal.

This website is about the LAWFUL OWNERSHIP of all firearms, no matter the class, caliber or type.

Firearmstalk DOES NOT condone illegal ownership of ANY weapon, regardless of the intention behind said ownership.

JD

Old 02-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, please draw me a picture. Since it is paifully obvious that you have superior cognitive reasoning, please enlighten me on how the felony is not a big deal since you see nothing wrong with the crime. I suppose it is less ammo for the Brady's because a teacher bought a gun for a student who travels around with a firearm the student is not legal to own or posess. I find it hard to believe that a teacher would put his/her retirement future in jeopardy for a 20 year old student. I imagine that is a healthy student/teacher relationship.

Which tech school is your brother attending?
god forbid a 20 year old shoot or even look at a handgun without firey spikes coming from hell and impaling him.