Shooting w/ thumb on safety
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Shooting w/ thumb on safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shooting w/ thumb on safety

I've been reading about holding your thumb on top on the safety when shooting a 1911. Is it dangerous to also have my thumb pressed up against the slide when I shoot?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

A lot of people shoot with their thumb against the slide safety on a 1911. I think it's uncomfortable and I shoot with more of a traditional grip. My colt had wear marks at the slide safety from the previous owner from the aforementioned grip.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When gripping the 1911 with the thumbs foreward grip, your thumb can almost automatically ride on the thumbsafety.
The rason is, that when carrying cocked and locked, you position your thumb on the safety and when ready to shoot just need to press down.

Same thing the other way round. When you fired a shot to prevent accidental discharge, you just need to move your thumb a bit down, under the safety and engage it.
Also it prevents accidential engegement of the safety.

It is more comfortable doing this with the long safetylevers, but also works fine with the original ones.

Pressing your thumb agains the slide, is not such a good idea. For one, it would potentially slow down the slide and cause a malfunction and second the possibillity of injuring yourself is high.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I keep my appendages clear of ANY* working controls to let the pistol operate as designed.

* Slide, slide stop, thumb safety with one exception; the TRIGGER.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Me too. My pre firing hand position is thumb on the slide safety and finger on the trigger guard or just above it. But, once I start firing I adjust to finger on the trigger and thumb on the grips. Incidentally it's the same way I fire any weapon with a safety mounted on the slide as well such as my beretta px4.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

There is almost no propensity for injury from riding the safety.

But you can slow down the slide, and that will result in malfunction. This is why oversized safeties are utilized in competition.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #7

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hello PeteZ, I have shot the 1911 type guns, with my thumb on the safety, since attending a couple of training classes at Gunsite years ago. Gunsite taught this thumb placement. I have used this hold with both the factory and extended type safeties. It has worked for me in carrying and using 1911 type pistols, and the FN/Browning, in recreational matches, and carrying the 1911 full time in LE.

Back when I shot regularly in practical pistol matches, it was not uncommon to see 1911 shooters,who used some version of thumb under the safety grip, inadvertently push up the safety as the gun came down after recoil. Then, mad fumbling as they momentarily struggle to figure out why their 1911 pistol won't shoot. I am not a Black Ops Ninja "Operator" expert, but have carried the 1911 in the military (RVN), and then LE, for years. The thumb atop the safety technique seems a simple way to insure that the thumb safety is not accidentally engaged...ymmv

Old 09-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 772 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 225

I have used the 1911 for forty years thumb under safety. Same grip as revolver. Never one problem. Tried the new way and teach the new way, but do not like it at all.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

helps me control recoil.. I have alot more leverage on my 5" 1911 w/full size safety and faster follow up shots in competition..