Shooting low
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Shooting low

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting low

Took my 1911 out the other day and noticed I have been consistently shooting low. I don't feel afraid of the 45. What else could it be? I don't feel like I am compensating. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhamblen View Post
Any ideas?
Have a friend load your magazine; whereas, they put one or two snap-cap rounds in it. Fire the gun while having your friend observe.

Another option would be to use a rest noting the POI heights.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 AM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This is often due to a heavy trigger. When the trigger pull exceeds the weight of the gun the muzzle can drop. The point at which the sear breaks the muzzle drops. Try firing from a sand bag rest. It may be as simple as a tall front sight.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #4

I have been wanting to get a different trigger and I guess a spring kit to decrease pull weight. Think that would help?

Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #5

Also, what about a new sear? I looked into what you said about a heavy trigger pull. 3.5-5lbs on a stock 38oz Remington R1.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The Wilson sear sure helped my Colt Officers Mdl. Your trigger pull is way heavy.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #7

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

i learned that even though i was looking straight down the gun at my target, I wasnt.

Try this and be honest with yourself. I was so trying to get my arm tight and straight with a good grip, I was actualy tilting my wrist in a downward position.

It looked stright while holding the gun, but somebody pointed it to me at the range. Locking the elbow and arm straight I had to teach my wrist to almost tilt up but actualy it was straight. It felt weird at first, like i was gonna hit high but it worked.

If your elbow,arm, and wrist are stright, you can run your free hand the lenght of your arm to the end of your hand stright shot. If you were holding a gun and you ran your hand and hit your wrist, you were in a poisition to shoot low again

That was how I taught my self to aim straight. Now Im working on breathing and trigger controll. To get consistant shots where I want them.

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
Have a friend load your magazine; whereas, they put one or two snap-cap rounds in it. Fire the gun while having your friend observe.

Another option would be to use a rest noting the POI heights.
Both good suggestions -
Also just let a friend shoot it -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #9

Up to this point I have practiced with snap caps. I have taken dead brass and put one on top of my slide and balanced it while practicing trigger pull. Also my father has put a few mags down it. He knocked out the black. I feel lost, I do want to test the idea of my wrist being cocked down. I am locking my shoulder elbow and wrist.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue View Post
i learned that even though i was looking straight down the gun at my target, I wasnt.

Try this and be honest with yourself. I was so trying to get my arm tight and straight with a good grip, I was actualy tilting my wrist in a downward position.

It looked stright while holding the gun, but somebody pointed it to me at the range. Locking the elbow and arm straight I had to teach my wrist to almost tilt up but actualy it was straight. It felt weird at first, like i was gonna hit high but it worked.

If your elbow,arm, and wrist are stright, you can run your free hand the lenght of your arm to the end of your hand stright shot. If you were holding a gun and you ran your hand and hit your wrist, you were in a poisition to shoot low again

That was how I taught my self to aim straight. Now Im working on breathing and trigger controll. To get consistant shots where I want them.
A keen observation. Good advise.