scratches on my 1911
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > scratches on my 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default scratches on my 1911

hey guys,my 1911 is stainless,with the slide being polished and the rest of the gun being a flat finish.Is there anything i can use to fix the idiot marks i got on my first disassembly?not a big deal just getting tired of looking at them.also which cleaner would be best for overall care of the stainless?thanks.steven

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Been there, done that! I asked a lot of questions and did a lot of research, and the best response I heard was jeweler's rouge (sp?).

Didn't try it, traded the pistol away to an uneducated newbie.....like I was at the time.

Sorry to hear about it, but lots of us have been through it!

Last edited by lonyaeger; 07-10-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

And there it is...right there in front of God and everybody...mocking you incessantly.

Yes, jeweler's rouge might do the trick or some fine rubbing compound.

[sar] Break out the Dremel! [/casm]

Good luck!

Be Well.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 AM   #4

Liked 1437 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It's called the "Crescent of Shame" and you will need to refinish the gun or wear it with pride!

It happens to the best of us!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/learning-strip-th-1911-a-12471/#post90178

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/little-ria-24326/#post251721

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/how-avoid-idiot-marks-43169/#post514050

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/my-first-1911-a-38611/#post447658

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/learning-strip-th-1911-a-12471/#post90178

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 07-10-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 472 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It doesn't bother me, it adds character. Goodness, It's a tool use it, don't display it.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If its a polished part - like the way the stainless Springfield loaded models are - you can get a red scotchbright pad. You rub it back and forth, horizontally EVERY time - you basically rescratch a new grain into metal. You need to do both sides to make it look right.

With a bead blasted finish on stainless, there is no fix other than getting it bead blasted again...

As for future knowledge to keep it from happening again:

For "idiot scratch" protection (what that scratch by the slide stop is called), I use this:

Buy Now

I previously had an Ed Brown 1911, and the slide stop went in very easily. But on my Custom Shop Springfield, that plunger makes the slide stop VERY hard to get in. EVERY Springfield (various model 1911s) I have previously owned was the same way. That slide stop won’t go in easily because of the plunger…

So, because I DON’T wanna screw up even ONE single time on a $3k gun - I now use that protection device (I put the link above).

I lay it (that small device) on the frame, and then use a small screwdriver to push in the plunger while I seat the slide stop. Then, pull out that plastic piece afterwards that protected the frame.

I used to use scotch tape and some other tricks. But now, I just use this. As it is more reliable and works perfectly every time.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
It doesn't bother me, it adds character. Goodness, It's a tool use it, don't display it.
Indeed. + 1

Those are marks of character for a well used, comfortable, reliable and functioning, carried tool.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Indeed. + 1

Those are marks of character for a well used, comfortable, reliable and functioning, carried tool.
IF its a gun I carry - I don't care if it gets scratched up. I have a few guns I carry. ANY carried gun will develop scratches.

Guns I do not carry - I do not holster and try to keep looking as good as possible (minus regular shooting wear). However, after having 1911s for so long, the "idiot scratch" is the one scratch I go out of my way to prevent on any 1911 (carry gun or not)

Old 07-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #9

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I personally don't think the Idiot Mark adds character to a 1911. It just tells me someone didn't fully know what they were doing when reassebling their gun.

Best thing to do would be to blame in on the guy that owned the gun before you. Even if you're the original owner.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
i personally don't think the idiot mark adds character to a 1911. It just tells me someone didn't fully know what they were doing when reassebling their gun.

Best thing to do would be to blame in on the guy that owned the gun before you. Even if you're the original owner. :d
+1000 :d:d:d