Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Sarge's new Dan Wesson CCO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

crockett007,
I have been out of state on a 3 day live fire military range, and didn't have a chance to write this until now.
No offense taken at all, but I think there may be some misinterpretation of what's actually in the pics here.
The "surface rust" is actually just fine sawdust from my shop as the pistol had just come in from there immediately before the pics. I can understand how you would think it was rust though. You can see the lint in the pics from the rag I used to try to hastily wipe the sawdust off of the rest of the pistol, but I obviously missed some.
There is no "pitting" in the rear of the slide. That is merely the texture of the the duty coat (same finish as is used on the Valor).
The firing pin isn't off center (I pulled it out again to make sure). I think this is due to a shadow on one side which may make it look like it is though. I'm not a photographer, that's for sure......
I'm not sure where you see the canted extractor, but if you and/or others see it that's fine.
Overall, holding it in my hand, I am VERY impressed with both the quality and finish of this pistol. She's a keeper for sure!
Everyone is fully entitled to their own opinion, but I just wanted to clear up anything that may have simply been due to my lack of photography skills and haste to get the pics taken with a wood dusty weapon.
Thanks!
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
Sarge,

Based on these pics, I would send the pistol back. Mainly due to the unsatisfactory appearance of the rear slide face around the ejector area. It looks like typical cast metal pitting and lack of fill in the investment cast slide. It would be a different story if this were a $400 1911, but for the price these people are asking, for me, the quality needs to be a little better than what we see here.

It looks like you already have some surface rust around the trigger guard and mag release screw, as well as at the base of the front strap. Interesting that an unfired brand new "high end" pistol finish would have this already. Coupled with the slightly off center firing pin to firing pin stop fit and the obvious canted extractor fit in the slide, I would have to pass.

I'm not bashing you or your gun. I know you are excited, and to each his own. I'm not drinking the kool aid, however. In the same vain I mean no disrespect. The simple fact is that there are like priced pistols out there that use superior materials and finshes.

If you are satisfied that is all that matters, everything else is just internet noise. I 'm just offering an honest opinion that I wouldn't be happy with this product.

regards,
Steve

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Last edited by Sarge43; 09-28-2009 at 02:31 AM.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Forgot to say that the slide under the ceramic coating is stainless steel.
Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

With as many 1911's as you have handled and have I think you would notice immediately anything that was out of place or not right.

I think it's perfect and I'm jealous as all get out!!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks for straightening all that out Sarge. Sometimes the camera can tell us things that aren't necessarily true. Good luck with your new toy.

regards,
Steve

Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, my ugly photography skills can take Miss Universe and make her look like a 70 year old crack addict on a corner somwhere.
I'm seriously considering taking this one in and having a pro shoot some pics for me. We'll see.
Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Old 09-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fine looking firearm. Your custom grips make a person drool looking at them. Great work.

SOUTHERN BORN CONSERVATIVE REDNECK AND VERY PROUD OF IT

ARMY 1970-1971 MP SGT Nam
Army 1976-1994 MP/CID Agent 1SG

Old 09-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thank you Robert NC, I'm glad you like the pistol. She's a real beauty.
Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #18

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Very nice Sarge!

You shopping for a bigger safe?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I need to start looking I guess...... I've got two more coming and plans for another two customs already in my head. Oh the addiction. I need help......
Already this morning a "friend" (read that as "gun crack dealer") has tempted me with a LB TRS. I don't have one of those either. He really knows how to hit low man. It's just not fair.
Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Cbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
Just picked her up yesterday. #34 out of the fabrication facility.
This thing is just flat out high end. The fit and finish is unbelievably tight. I haven't shot her yet, and won't have time to until next week (out of state drill weekend coming up), but I've talked to others who have them, and they tell me they are real tack drivers just like their big brother the CBOB. For those who may not know what the CCO concept is, it's a commander slide on an officers frame. Usually accompanied by a small "bobtail" of the MSH at the butt. It's only about 1/4" or so, but does make the officers grips very comfortable.
Only change I've made from stock is that I switched out the bushings and screws for slims and put on a set of Snakewood slims that I made for her. Other than that, what you see is what you get straight out of the box.
Enjoy,
Sarge

Damn fine looking gun Sarge43, It looks heavy. How does it carry? I have a little double stack mini-45 that is not only accurate but easy to carry. Can't wait till you get it on the range. What unit are you in? I was MP's
Sarge257

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge