SA1911 FTF last round, various mags
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > SA1911 FTF last round, various mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default SA1911 FTF last round, various mags

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm breaking in a newer Springfield SA1911 SS Mil-Spec Loaded. About 400 rounds through it. FWIW, it IS feeding a little better as I break it in. That might be due to the fact that I have different ammo too (Win. white box ball ammo). I like this pistol. Not my CCW but definitely one I will not be parting with from my collection. Maybe future CCW? Maybe! Anyway, I am down to the "home stretch" in breaking this thing in IAW most break in doctrines. I took it out and shot 100 rounds through it again yesterday. It started FTF on the last round of numerous mags. All told, I have 5mags. 2 SA std, 2 Chip McCormick and 1 Hi capacity primium mag(forget the brand on that one). I would eject the spent case, and jam the last round at the base of the throat on the ramp. Did this numerous times after about 30 rounds. I would eject the round, drop and reload the mag with the same round and it would feed it then. I am sure they didn't all occur on he same mag since I was cycling through all 5 at a time. I could not see any dimples or hang-ups on the ramp. Once and only once, it did actually jam the round into the throat without the extractor carrying it, which ment the slide was locked open and the extractor was resting on the back side of the round. I cleaned it up tonight and found no evidence of extractor damage. My current plan is to keep cleaning it up and taking it back to the range until it I break it in, I break it or it breaks me. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #2

My guess, based on the info you provided, is the springs in the magazines. Take a marker with you to the range. Load all mags with the same ammo, type, grain etc (out of the same box) and then shoot normally. With each FTF, note the mag with a marker.

Reload all mags and do it over again. Each failure is noted on the mag. I bet the same couple of mags will be the culprit. Since it is the last round, I feel the springs will be weak.

NOW: Why would you not want to carry the .45acp as a CCW? I carry a full size S&W 1911 PC concealed all day, every day, 7 days a week. Over the last 30+ yrs, I have carried a S&W model 66, model 686, Glock 19 and Glock 22. The 1911 is the best I have ever carried in terms of comfort, wear on clothes, car upholstery, accuracy and dependability. It takes only 3-4 days to get accustomed to carrying it but it takes longer than that to get used to a different car, different wife or assignment.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

Take a good look at the slide lock (really "slide release"). I've seen that same FTF on SA's before. Chances are good that the same mags would work correctly in another 1911.

See if the slide release is trying to come up too early.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys,
I'll definitely check out both these possibilities. I'll mark up the mags the day after tomorrow when I get back out to the range.
DAN_FL: Tomorrow morning I'll run some snap caps through it and see if the slide release is engaging early. Would this be the easiest way to spot this problem?
OLDMAN45:As far as using it for the CCW; When she feeds a few hundred rounds without flaws, I'm all for it. I'm not adverse to carrying something that handles this effective of a round with so little effort for sure. When I get this 1911 up to 100% reliable, I think a call to Milt Sparks and Trijicon will soon follow. I first ordered it as more of a target/home def. peice but I could see this thing phasing out my G19, PPS, SP101, etc. Honestly, none of my other guns feel as good as this thing does with Pachmayer style grips. I don't know how well it would ride ITW but I can see your point.
Thanks,
Fixxer

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's a good try. I hope that is it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yep, caught it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Take a good look at the slide lock (really "slide release"). I've seen that same FTF on SA's before. Chances are good that the same mags would work correctly in another 1911.

See if the slide release is trying to come up too early.
Dan_FL, I'm gonna send you a PM. It mostly cleared up today but I did get 1 FTF. This time it actually locked the slide open and left the round floating around inside the feed. Looks like it may have happened 2 times since there was an unshot "mystery round" on the bench after I finished a mag full of ammo.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If the firearm is still under warranty, I would consider sending it back (include a letter explaining what happened).

If you decide to swap out the slide release, take a good look at Ed Brown's at World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

I have used his parts with very good success.

Good Luck.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default ftf

I have had similar problems with McCormick 8 rd mags in my Kimber. If I only load 7 rds it doesn't do it. I think the springs in the mag are so soft to allow an added round that it causes the FTF on the last round when the spring tension is very low. IMHO Definitely mark the mags like mentioned above.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 11-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

When are you guys going to listen to the old man and try the Tripp Research Cobra Mags?

MAG QUESTIONS:

Here's some reading;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/7-rd-vs-8rd-mags-20342/#post189853

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-mags-11991/#post84558

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/i-bought-kimber-pro-carry-ii-23402/#post230658

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-hollow-points-23957/#post239151

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/i-bought-kimber-pro-carry-ii-23402/#post230885

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #10

I have a Springfield GI .45 that did the EXACT same thing no matter what magazine I used. I used every type of mag from surplus GI to high end Chip McCormak mags and all did the same thing, the gun refused to chamber the last round from ANY magazine regardless of the number of rounds used. I could load 2 or 7 rounds, it didn't matter, the last round failed to chamber. I sent the gun back to SA and they received it on Monday and I got the gun back on Friday. They polished the feed ramp, throated the barrel, and replaced the extractor. The gun has functioned flawlessly ever since. Send the gun back to SA, they pay shipping both ways and the gun is fixed free of charge. Excellent customer service.