SA 1911 recoil question - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > SA 1911 recoil question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3094 Times on 1778 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Buying one gun per kid is better than buying one gun for each of your birthdays.

I'm still trying to explain how I'm 103 years old.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Buying one gun per kid is better than buying one gun for each of your birthdays.

I'm still trying to explain how I'm 103 years old.
I don't have that kind of money or space, but I've gone through a lot of guns, about 50 or so. And I'm only 35. Some I got rid of I regret, but I simplified my collection so that when the crap hits the fan, I'm not toting an extra thousand pounds of guns and ammo, but that is an impressive collection. You sound like my best friends dad, his wife only knows about 70 or 80 of his, and he has filled a large safe, medium safe, and a gun cabinet. He buys them and hides them under their bed mattress, guest bed, and his sons houses. It's funny. I got up 20, but then I reduced it. I got rid of cheap ones, unreliable ones, ones that I never shot and gave a few as gifts, now I got 12 and expanding again. Before the year is out I plan on 1 maybe 2 more. I tell my chic that I am also buying guns for kids that we don't have yet, the 12 I have now are mine, and I told her I only 2 more for myself. So I'm gonna buy another rifle and another pistol, then I told her I'm going to build 2 rifles so they don't count as purchases, and the rest are for my daughter and her brothers and/or sisters.

I started when I was 21 with zero guns and none passed down, I'm changing that with my kids.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #23

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
I am so looking forward to it, I'm kind of going threw a Sig phase right now. I am waiting on my 220 Platinum Elite to get here, and that'll be my last sig. I'm start my first AR build soon and after that it's back to what my dad got me hooked on, "1911". What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so my little will have a 1911 also. My girlfriend is upset at me because I want to guns for my daughter and when we have more kids I'll buy guns for them to.
That's my excuse for buying things in quads. I need one for me, one for my wife, one for my son and one for my daughter...

Old 08-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My girlfriend is scared of guns, so I guess I can take one for her.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
My girlfriend is scared of guns, so I guess I can take one for her.
Training Time!
But first, find out why she is scared of an inanimate object.
Then help her overcome her fear.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

She says she is scared of loud sound. I thought that might be a reason to buy a can, but she is a petite frame and not athletic. That a 1 1/2 years ago, since that we've had a baby and she might see it different now. The first gun she shot was my Colt 1911, and it scared, I dot understand why.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #27

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
IMO, trying to stop the recoil can lead to involuntary reaction of "pushing" the firearm (especially with a new shooter).

Let the recoil happen, but let the firearm settle down into the original position after it happens.
Clear - simple - effective

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #28

Thanks for the tip. I can't seem to shoot right when I hold the 1911witu both hands wrapped around it. I tend to shoot better with my other hand holding the gun from the bottom, under the magazine. They tell me that's a bad habit to shoot because u won't be able to hold the recoil straight up, but I shoot better. WHAT SHOULD I DO!? I want to be a good shooter!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don’t get discouraged my friend this will take time. Put some time in on dry fire practice.
And yes, the “cup and saucer” (hand under the mag well) was never a good option.
As I said before sight picture, sight alignment and trigger control. As you are dry firing note the muzzle is it dipping when you “Pull” the trigger try to presssssssss the trigger. GUN EMPTY REMOVE ALL BULLETS FROM the room you are in…. Point in, take the slack out of the trigger then presssssssss to trigger break. Reset your action then try again and again and ……
it’s easier than tripping wet pipe.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 08-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #30
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Put a coin on the EMPTY gun after you have fired a few round at the range (with the slide gently moved in the firing position and hammer cocked). Squeeze the trigger exactly as you did when firing. If the coin falls, then something is wrong. If the coin stays, try to feel if you are doing something different when the gun is loaded.

Also, look at "follow through". Releasing the trigger right after the hammer falls will move the muzzle. Let the gun settle, then release the trigger.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC