SA 1911 recoil question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

SA 1911 recoil question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Most of the time when you're throwing shots off, it's your trigger squeeze. You could be jerking it here and there and not realize it. My dad taught me an old army acronym BRASS.
Breath(steady your breathes)
Relax(relax your body and get into a comfortable stance)
Aim(self explanatory)
Slack(take up the slack or slop in the trigger until you can feel the breaking point)
Squeeze(squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it)
Try this dry firing to get a feel for breaking point and try it at the range slowly until you feel comfy doing it fast.
I blade my body shooting side further from the target(right hand) and support side towards the target. That leaves my strong hand with a slight bend in elbow and support arm bent more, after that I start shooting.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn
Most of the time when you're throwing shots off, it's your trigger squeeze. You could be jerking it here and there and not realize it. My dad taught me an old army acronym BRASS.
Breath(steady your breathes)
Relax(relax your body and get into a comfortable stance)
Aim(self explanatory)
Slack(take up the slack or slop in the trigger until you can feel the breaking point)
Squeeze(squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it)
Try this dry firing to get a feel for breaking point and try it at the range slowly until you feel comfy doing it fast.
I blade my body shooting side further from the target(right hand) and support side towards the target. That leaves my strong hand with a slight bend in elbow and support arm bent more, after that I start shooting.
Try standing like you were going to box with somebody and get a comfy grip and control your breathing and trigger squeeze, you'll be ok.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #13

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad View Post
Hi guys, quick question please! When i shoot my 1911 45 at 25 yards, am I suppose to lock my arm straight and let the recoil just ride? I thought I was suppose to hold down the recoil as I shoot..
You can either control recoil or let recoil control you. A well trained shooter does the first. Here is a picture of my daughter firing a .41 Mag with full power loads. That is about as high as she would let that muzzle rise because her hands, arms, shoulders and body are all working together to absorb recoil.
SA 1911 recoil question - 1911 Forum

BTW she is a very well trained and excellent shot. This is the correct body position to make it all work.
SA 1911 recoil question - 1911 Forum

Old 08-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #14

Thank you azn and wombli, your daughter looks like she shoots like a pro with massive amount of practice! Thank you so much for sharing

Old 08-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad View Post
Thank you azn and wombli, your daughter looks like she shoots like a pro with massive amount of practice! Thank you so much for sharing
The girl is scary good but I put a handgun in her hand at 6 years old and she has never been allowed to screw up since. She has benefited from exceedingly good training and she is also passionate about shooting. And you are right about massive amounts of ammo. We normally show up at the range with 50 cal ammo cans full of 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 acp and try our darnedest to empty them

Good luck and good shooting!

Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

My daughter is only 5 months old, but I hope she likes shooting as much as me. Because daddy I waiting for his new sig 45 and I bought her a sig 229 elite 40 for her birthday. I think she'll like shooting cause when I take her to bass pro or cabelas she smiles when I stroll her by the gun counter, the rest of the time there she just sits there.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #17

Hahaha that's adorable

Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'll start her on a sig mosquito and 22 lr rifle, then it's all centerfire. I'm thinkj g 5 or 6 is a good age to start.

So how is SA loaded working out, let see some pics. I love SA.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
My daughter is only 5 months old, but I hope she likes shooting as much as me. Because daddy I waiting for his new sig 45 and I bought her a sig 229 elite 40 for her birthday. I think she'll like shooting cause when I take her to bass pro or cabelas she smiles when I stroll her by the gun counter, the rest of the time there she just sits there.
Well I can tell you that if she likes to shoot you'll have a lot of good hours of father/daughter fun times to remember in your old age.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I am so looking forward to it, I'm kind of going threw a Sig phase right now. I am waiting on my 220 Platinum Elite to get here, and that'll be my last sig. I'm start my first AR build soon and after that it's back to what my dad got me hooked on, "1911". What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so my little will have a 1911 also. My girlfriend is upset at me because I want to guns for my daughter and when we have more kids I'll buy guns for them to.