Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > SA 1911 recoil question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SA 1911 recoil question

Hi guys, quick question please! When i shoot my 1911 45 at 25 yards, am I suppose to lock my arm straight and let the recoil just ride? I thought I was suppose to hold down the recoil as I shoot..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First let me say, what works for me may not work for you, so my way is just, a way not the way.
Starting with the grip, tight but not overly tight, ( do you shoot with thumbs up, forward, one on top of the other? Suggestion, strong hand thumb relaxed, resting on safety (1911) support hand thumb also relaxed next to strong thumb, strong side elbow slightly bent, support side elbow pointing to the ground.
give this a try see if you like it. with that said, control the recoil don't "ride" it.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 08-02-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

also take a look at this one angain , as you can see some difference.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #4

Wow thank you dude that one helped me out alot, I can't wait till I practice the 100% move

Old 08-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm not gonna knock anybodies methods, but I just let recoil happen. If you limp wrist some guns, they tend to jam because the lack holding it steady for the action to cycle. You can try adjusting your stance to allow the recoil to travel through into the ground or allow your body to take the shock. Remember governor Ventura, 2 hands placed firmly on the gun for good "gun control". Another thing that works for me that is kind of unusual, I'll go to the gym and hit weights lightly, eat a protein meal(not so much that you're bloated), and then go shoot. The excursive will increase your confidence, endorphins, endurance, and strength to hold the gun and shoot, and the protein will aid in making you hold steady.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2637 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

IMO, trying to stop the recoil can lead to involuntary reaction of "pushing" the firearm (especially with a new shooter).

Let the recoil happen, but let the firearm settle down into the original position after it happens.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #7

So as long as the recoil travels straight up and nicely.. I will have to try both methods. Everyone seems to make perfect sense.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2637 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

With more practice, you will get to the point that recoil can help with the second shot.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What I have found is that there is a balance to be struck where your grip is firm enough to let the slide travel straight back, ejecting the brass without issue and then settling back on target without excess lift. It will be a trial and error of grip and stance until the individual finds what best works for them and the gun functions well. Anticipating the recoil will lead to pushing forward and down as mentioned. Practice is what will help the most. Good luck.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #10

Man.. I put about 120 rounds in today. Zero fails still, that's 420 rounds now with zero fails since a purchased it. Seems like I need alot more practice. My groupings are okay at 25 yards but I still get some retarded shots way off. I'm going to try resting my thumb on the safety next time and see what Happens like he said on the second video