Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   SA 1911 recoil question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/sa-1911-recoil-question-46132/)

EMTchad 08-02-2011 02:32 AM

SA 1911 recoil question

Hi guys, quick question please! When i shoot my 1911 45 at 25 yards, am I suppose to lock my arm straight and let the recoil just ride? I thought I was suppose to hold down the recoil as I shoot..

rigjumpr 08-02-2011 03:09 AM

First let me say, what works for me may not work for you, so my way is just, a way not the way.
Starting with the grip, tight but not overly tight, ( do you shoot with thumbs up, forward, one on top of the other? Suggestion, strong hand thumb relaxed, resting on safety (1911) support hand thumb also relaxed next to strong thumb, strong side elbow slightly bent, support side elbow pointing to the ground.
give this a try see if you like it. with that said, control the recoil don't "ride" it.

rigjumpr 08-02-2011 04:16 AM

also take a look at this one angain , as you can see some difference.

EMTchad 08-02-2011 05:27 AM

Wow thank you dude that one helped me out alot, I can't wait till I practice the 100% move

AznZOhAn 08-02-2011 06:18 AM

I'm not gonna knock anybodies methods, but I just let recoil happen. If you limp wrist some guns, they tend to jam because the lack holding it steady for the action to cycle. You can try adjusting your stance to allow the recoil to travel through into the ground or allow your body to take the shock. Remember governor Ventura, 2 hands placed firmly on the gun for good "gun control". Another thing that works for me that is kind of unusual, I'll go to the gym and hit weights lightly, eat a protein meal(not so much that you're bloated), and then go shoot. The excursive will increase your confidence, endorphins, endurance, and strength to hold the gun and shoot, and the protein will aid in making you hold steady.

danf_fl 08-02-2011 08:36 AM

IMO, trying to stop the recoil can lead to involuntary reaction of "pushing" the firearm (especially with a new shooter).

Let the recoil happen, but let the firearm settle down into the original position after it happens.

EMTchad 08-02-2011 12:46 PM

So as long as the recoil travels straight up and nicely.. I will have to try both methods. Everyone seems to make perfect sense.

danf_fl 08-02-2011 03:33 PM

With more practice, you will get to the point that recoil can help with the second shot.

alxltd1 08-02-2011 05:13 PM

What I have found is that there is a balance to be struck where your grip is firm enough to let the slide travel straight back, ejecting the brass without issue and then settling back on target without excess lift. It will be a trial and error of grip and stance until the individual finds what best works for them and the gun functions well. Anticipating the recoil will lead to pushing forward and down as mentioned. Practice is what will help the most. Good luck.

EMTchad 08-03-2011 05:12 AM

Man.. I put about 120 rounds in today. Zero fails still, that's 420 rounds now with zero fails since a purchased it. Seems like I need alot more practice. My groupings are okay at 25 yards but I still get some retarded shots way off. I'm going to try resting my thumb on the safety next time and see what Happens like he said on the second video