Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > SA 1911 NM series? N series?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SA 1911 NM series? N series?

Hi everyone, wondering if someone very knowledgable with the springfield 1911 can answer this question. what is the real difference between the NM serial number and N serial number? I am hearing that the N series is half assembled in brazil and other half in the US. and NM Is all American?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5243 Times on 2734 Posts
Likes Given: 330

N means 50% or more of the finish work was done in the imbrel plant in brazil and will have two made in brazil stamps on the frame. more than 50% done in geneso il its NM. all frames come from brazil. they are some of the finest frames and highly prized as base frames for match grade custom pistols. the steel used by the imbrel plant is extremely high quality.

it doesnt matter if you get a N or NM its a damn fine gun and a close and i mean very close second to colt 1911s.

all guns whether N or NM go through the geneso plant for final finishing.

SA has been doing this since day one quality has never gotten worse or had fluctuations, unlike kimber. they have never claimed 100% made in usa or denied where the frames are created. if you have a SA 1911 you purchased a gun that is easily worth twice what you paid for quality wise.

personally i would take a SA 1911 any day of the week over a ruger sr1911 or anything kimber produces

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-24-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #3

Thank you so much for that! Helped me alot. I have 3 more days until I get my brand new sa 1911 loaded parkerized. It's brand new but there are small chips on the bottom of the cocobolo grip and small steel scratches on the bottom of the gun in the front area..

Old 07-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad View Post
Thank you so much for that! Helped me alot. I have 3 more days until I get my brand new sa 1911 loaded parkerized. It's brand new but there are small chips on the bottom of the cocobolo grip and small steel scratches on the bottom of the gun in the front area..
Those could be from it being a display model and others handling it. When you get it, clean it, lube it, and take it to the range. With the first mag, DO NOT load more that 2 rounds in the mag. If there is some internal damage, you don't want it to come as a surprise.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
N means 50% or more of the finish work was done in the imbrel plant in brazil and will have two made in brazil stamps on the frame. more than 50% done in geneso il its NM. all frames come from brazil. they are some of the finest frames and highly prized as base frames for match grade custom pistols. the steel used by the imbrel plant is extremely high quality.

it doesnt matter if you get a N or NM its a damn fine gun and a close and i mean very close second to colt 1911s.

all guns whether N or NM go through the geneso plant for final finishing.

SA has been doing this since day one quality has never gotten worse or had fluctuations, unlike kimber. they have never claimed 100% made in usa or denied where the frames are created. if you have a SA 1911 you purchased a gun that is easily worth twice what you paid for quality wise.

personally i would take a SA 1911 any day of the week over a ruger sr1911 or anything kimber produces
Why the Kimberly hate? I've had nothing but favorable experiences. What left the bad taste ?

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 07-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #6

Thanks Dan!! So after 2 rounds, if there Is no problem how many then? And also what kind of surprises can happen? The gun seemed to be in good condition since it's new.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5243 Times on 2734 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post
Why the Kimberly hate? I've had nothing but favorable experiences. What left the bad taste ?
Simply my opinion. You dont have to agree with my evaluation.

Its just the way kimber does business. I remember when kimber first appeared on the scene. They had hired a number of relly top notch 1911 gunsmiths to make their first few guns. These guns went out to all the gun rags at the time for evaluation.

They were all hand fitted top notch pieces as were all theproduction guns for.the first year or so. They sold them at a heavy loss just to establish a reputation. Soon after kimber changed their proccess switched to cheaper methods almost no real fitting was done and have pretty much been on a roller coaster cycle since then.

Its one of those companies that slinks by living off an initial reputation and only does enough to get by.

The reason i dont like kimber is you are paying the price of a sa or colt for the production qaulity of a taurus or rossi.

Im not saying they dont work just that for the price you can get a way better gun elsewhere.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad View Post
Thanks Dan!! So after 2 rounds, if there Is no problem how many then? And also what kind of surprises can happen? The gun seemed to be in good condition since it's new.
I have purchased display models that have been abused by store employees and customers. The way the firearm gets mistreated by "knowledgable" people is amazing.
One firearm I had purchased "doubled" the first time I took it to the range. I had to replace the sear, sear spring, hammer, and disconnector to get it to shoot correctly.

After it does okay with 2 rounds, then go to 3, then 4. If it does okay, then try "double taps" with 4 rounds.

Congrats on your purchase.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Simply my opinion. You dont have to agree with my evaluation.

Its just the way kimber does business. I remember when kimber first appeared on the scene. They had hired a number of relly top notch 1911 gunsmiths to make their first few guns. These guns went out to all the gun rags at the time for evaluation.

They were all hand fitted top notch pieces as were all theproduction guns for.the first year or so. They sold them at a heavy loss just to establish a reputation. Soon after kimber changed their proccess switched to cheaper methods almost no real fitting was done and have pretty much been on a roller coaster cycle since then.

Its one of those companies that slinks by living off an initial reputation and only does enough to get by.

The reason i dont like kimber is you are paying the price of a sa r colt for the production qaulity of a taurus or rossi.

Im not saying they dont work just that for the price you can get a way better gun elsewhere.
Jon, don't get me wrong I was just wanting your reason behind the statement, too meny times people express their"opinions " and pass it off as fact. Got ta love the Internet.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #10

A display model? Well all the guns are on display and they said they are brand new. So I'm assuming I'm buying a display model too.am I getting ripped off?