SA 1911 loaded horrible accuracy?? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

SA 1911 loaded horrible accuracy??


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
thats what the trigger is supposed to do on a 1911. without touching it myself i would say you got a good one out of the box. no creep is a positive thing. but no trigger weight isnt a factor. my ww2 ithaca 1911A1 has a terribly stiff trigger around 8-9 pounds but its the most accurate handgun i have

SA 1911 loaded horrible accuracy?? - 1911 Forum
Ok im just hypothesizing various ideas because everyone wants to assume right off the bat its the shooter but for 3 people so far its been off target and thats stupid to even make a gun that doesnt shoot straight for at least 25 yds but i like your grouping hopefully i can pull off something like that with this gun soon
SnakeDoctor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
Ok im just hypothesizing various ideas because everyone wants to assume right off the bat its the shooter but for 3 people so far its been off target and thats stupid to even make a gun that doesnt shoot straight for at least 25 yds but i like your grouping hopefully i can pull off something like that with this gun soon
Many of make this assumption because we ourselves have been there. Nobody likes to think their technique is flawed, it makes us feel better if it's the guns fault. It takes lots of practice and a lot of rounds downrange to develop yourself into a "good" shot with consistent technique. When I started, if I hit the target at all I was pretty happy and I just kept working on my technique until it became second nature.

I've helped a lot of beginners and 90% of the time they blame the gun when they don't achieve the desired outcome. I have seen new guns that actually had accuracy problems - but it's a very rare occurrence. If a truly experienced pistol shooter has the same results - it may be the gun. BTW, this is what I achieved with a no-name $400 1911: This target is 25 rounds, fired in 45 seconds at 10 yards with 2 mag changes. I post this so you know I actually can shoot a 1911 pretty well (some days)...

SA 1911 loaded horrible accuracy?? - 1911 Forum

Last edited by NGIB; 03-29-2011 at 10:33 PM.
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Many of make this assumption because we ourselves have been there. Nobody likes to think their technique is flawed, it makes us feel better if it's the guns fault. It takes lots of practice and a lot of rounds downrange to develop yourself into a "good" shot with consistent technique. When I started, if I hit the target at all I was pretty happy and I just kept working on my technique until it became second nature.

I've helped a lot of beginners and 90% of the time they blame the gun when they don't achieve the desired outcome. I have seen new guns that actually had accuracy problems - but it's a very rare occurrence. If a truly experienced pistol shooter has the same results - it may be the gun. BTW, this is what I achieved with a no-name $400 1911: This target is 25 rounds, fired in 45 seconds at 10 yards with 2 mag changes...

SA 1911 loaded horrible accuracy?? - 1911 Forum
Nice shooting! i just dont get why on my second range trip i had much better shots yet the 3rd and 4th were just awful i just hope i can get past this bump in the road soon
SnakeDoctor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Default

How long have you been shooting and has your technique "stabilized"?

I've been doing this for quite a few years and my stance, grip, and sight picture are second nature to me. There are a lot of variables in play for consistent accurate shooting and it takes time to settle in - especially with a new gun...
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,237
Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Default

i will second what NGIB said. it takes years to get really good and im no where near that level. this is true for any handgun. lots of times my targets look like i been blasting away with a shotgun ive been shooting centerfire handguns since around 1988 and only in the last few years has it really started to come together.

going back to your original posting what makes me highly suspect its a technique thing is you had the same result on a different gun.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 03-29-2011 at 10:51 PM.
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A little south of Atlanta.
Posts: 140
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Default

If you figure out it may be the gun do not be afraid to call Springfield. They are just super and friendly. They will email you a shipping label, you pack it up and send it. They have very fast and efficient turnaround. I just recently had to send in an Ultra Compact Stainless .45 and an EMP40. One week for the 45 and it came back with a new mag as well. Week and a half for the Emp and they discovered the front sight was dead so replaced that as well. I wish I had started out with Springers because they would have a customer for life - they already do with me but it will be a much shorter time since I am already 69. Good Luck. Springer customer service is fabulous.
__________________
"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"
Hollander is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,148
Liked 3585 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Default

SnakeDoctor,

Springfield in deed will assist with the problem if it turns out to be the pistol's.
By the way JonM. Nice 1911 you have there! Have you had her for a while?

03
Sniper03 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
How long have you been shooting and has your technique "stabilized"?

I've been doing this for quite a few years and my stance, grip, and sight picture are second nature to me. There are a lot of variables in play for consistent accurate shooting and it takes time to settle in - especially with a new gun...
I havent really been shooting long 2 years is about it and at first i just was having fun but now im serious about it and i have what i feel is a stable technique since all my other guns give me no problems just the 1911.Tomorrow im taking it to a gunsmith and have him look at the barrel and have him test fire it so hopefully he can recommend my next move
SnakeDoctor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #19
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,237
Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
SnakeDoctor,

Springfield in deed will assist with the problem if it turns out to be the pistol's.
By the way JonM. Nice 1911 you have there! Have you had her for a while?

03
thanks its a 1944 ithaca all original. ive had it for two years now. it eats everything havent found a HP round it wont feed and it feeds empty cases. if it wasnt such an old warhorse hard to find pricey to replace it would be my everyday handgun. i put the hammer sear disconnector and sear spring in it from my springfield and its a dreamboat to shoot. but with the original parts you could use the trigger to pull a trailer lol. the barrel barely has any lands or grooves left but it hasnt effected the accuracy any.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Snake, what's your AO? Perhaps we know someone close who can meet you for a range day?

If you are in the PNW, Seattle Area or 100 miles in vicinty, I would be happy to meet up with you and trade you some range time with one of my 1911's and see if it is your weapon.

JD
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Springfield Loaded 1911-A1 FCross7 Range Report 29 03-16-2011 03:19 AM
new springfield 1911 loaded, 100 rounds to FTF, why? (and more) marshall 1911 Forum 34 03-07-2011 02:20 PM
Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded junho806 Range Report 12 10-04-2010 08:09 PM
Anythoughts on a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911? Terrax 1911 Forum 21 01-23-2010 02:15 PM
1911 .45 accuracy FlavoredLead 1911 Forum 3 10-02-2007 03:03 AM



Newest Threads