Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > S&W SW1911PD 45 4.25 FS Black

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Does anyone have any comments, experiences with this model. How does it compare to the Kimber Pro Carry, Springfield Mil-Spec/Loaded or other $900-$1,000 1911s. Don't expect Nighthawk or higher end Kimber or Colt performance but would not expect "entry level" features and performance either.

Not looking to turn this into a "looking for a 1911 which is best" kind of thread but would appreciate any suggestions. I am just beginning the window-shopping phase. The gun I am looking for will be used for range and possibly IDPA type shooting and HD. It will not be a carry piece, unless NJ wises up, so some of the sharp edge, clothing snag type issues won't really matter. Also, not looking for a beginner gun that will need upgrading and work before it's reliable.

Thanks for any and all input.

I previously owned this exact model and IMO it was the best 1911 that I ever owned. I purchased it at a gun show about 3 years ago and paid only $750.00 for it. I got rid of it for only one reason because I made a decision to replace it with a Glock 36. I have been shooting Glocks for about 14 years and decided to make a .45 my EDC. I have never had any type of malfunction with any of my Glocks, they are very accurate, easy to maintain and I can fix them myself. Having said this, if you want a 1911, I will highly recommend the S&W 1911PD.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #22
KLR

Don't mess with J.M. Browning perfection! It can not be improved. Just like the Model T Ford - the ultimate car - a two speed, 20 horse power automobile. No way you compare the Model T to any other Ford. 400 HP Mustang, I say blasphemy! F150, I say waste of good metal. No sir!

In addition to an external extractor, don't give me stainless steel, lowered ejection ports, stippled frames, night sights, 8 round magazines, ambi safeties, beveled mag wells, polished feed ramps or match grade barrel bushings.

KLR

Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love my 1911PD. I selected it over Springfield, Kimber and Colt when I bought it and I'm satisfied several years later. It makes me look good at the range.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #24

All of these are fine pistols and any would make nice additions. Even the cheaper cast ones from the Phillipines have stellar reputations for reliability and those being mentioned here are a definite cut above so lets be more specific. I have a rock solid, accurate, Kimber Pro Carry. I may like the Smith and Wesson, on paper at least, even better. Here is why: It is 4-1/4" barrel not a 4" like the Kimber and many others. It is 2 oz heavier than the Kimber and I find it closer to ideal (I know- strictly opinion). Minor points, yes, but with these particular firearms require splittings hairs to differentiate. Lastly, it does not appear to have the horrid scroll marks seen on other S&W's. As for the external extractor, yes Kimber had a few issues early on, but many,many new guns have teething issues. Sometimes the bad rap remains even after being quickly addressed by a manufacturer. For instance- you still here some talk about Beretta's being unreliable. Really!? A lot of claims are more internet hype than reality. Yugo parts....geesh.

Last edited by kenjs1; 04-07-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a 1911PD with the crimson trace grips. I have fired over 2K rounds through it with no problems. Factory loads and my reloads fire the same. Cant really comment on the Kimbers, all of my friends have either Colts or Springfields.... I do have a couple of Ithaca's and Remington 1911A1's in my collection but do not fire them as much as my others....

Semper Fi

"One shot one kill"

Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #26

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

After much deliberation I have decided on the S&W shown below...should have it in a few weeks...cannot wait to shoot it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 AM   #27

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I can't stop chuckling at this post. Well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Don't mess with J.M. Browning perfection! It can not be improved. Just like the Model T Ford - the ultimate car - a two speed, 20 horse power automobile. No way you compare the Model T to any other Ford. 400 HP Mustang, I say blasphemy! F150, I say waste of good metal. No sir!

In addition to an external extractor, don't give me stainless steel, lowered ejection ports, stippled frames, night sights, 8 round magazines, ambi safeties, beveled mag wells, polished feed ramps or match grade barrel bushings.

KLR

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #28

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Should be a wonderful pistol that will last several lifetimes. Looks good, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
After much deliberation I have decided on the S&W shown below...should have it in a few weeks...cannot wait to shoot it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."