S&W SW1911PD 45 4.25 FS Black - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > S&W SW1911PD 45 4.25 FS Black

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

one other thing whether external or internal extractor, on any handgun, never drop a round in the chamber then close the slide to load it. this can break the extractor. always use a magazine to load a handgun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-03-2010, 04:00 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you choose to get the S&W 1911, you should be good to go with regards to the external extractor. S&W has been doing external extractors on their firearms for a very long time and have done a very good job on the 1911s with them. I would say buy with confidence.

On another note, I assume S&W 1911s get overlooked primarily because of the look of the external extractor and a lot of 1911 guys just don't want to buy one because of it. Good luck on your search.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #13

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Default Took the plunge

Recently got to shoot a few different 1911s, placed an order for a Kimber Custom II...hope to have it in a few months. Yeah months...f'n NJ...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #14

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

The saga continues...with all the recent zombie sightings and fears of a real SHTF situation I decided to check on the status of my reserve order Kimber at Buds. To my dismay I was informed that an "accounting" error had resulted in several guns being alloted to multiple individuals and that I was being put at the top of the list for any inconvenience. Bud's representative was very apologetic and they handled the situation well and offered me some other goodies to make up for their error so I am, at least, satisfied with that.

Now my question, should I wait an indeterminate length of time for the Kimber or should I look for another model? What is comparable in quality and price to a Custom II? What is better and less expensive? I don't really have a preference for any brand, the gun will be 90% range use and some IDPA, if I ever get around to joining the local range that hosts it. Carry is not a requirement nor an option at this point anyway...

Thanks for any and all replies...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 04-06-2011 at 03:58 AM.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
kimbers are cheap in material quality and have issues with weak external extractors. in my opinion kimber is the yugo of 1911's..
Jon, why did you have to go and say that? I never understand people bashing things. And yes I own a Kimber, but I would feel the same way if that kind of blanket statement was said about any brand.

Sorry, this kind of stuff sticks in my crawl. Phew, I feel much better now

Stag1

Endowment Lifetime NRA Member, Certified CCW/Pistol instructor.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them". – Richard Henry Lee 1788

Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I guess I have a Yugo Pro Carry II now.

That's okay, I like it anyway.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Me and The Lovely Mrs both are happy with our Yugo Compact Stainlesses. Glad I don't have the intellect to appreciate how miserable I ought to be...

Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #18

Likes Given: 6

Default S&W SW 1911PD 45 4.25 FS Black

I've carried a Pistol/revolver both on the "Job" and off. I have the the S&W "Gunsite model" I changed the sights so I can see them (74 years) to HiViz. Went to aluma grips for their smaller siz.....Also had the S&W do an action job....Just to make sure everything was good.
Has digested all ammo I ever put into it....
I can't see anything I would trade it for unless I got the bux to go up to the 2/3K coast customs guns...
Try it you like it (S&W PD)

Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
ajb

Default S&W SW 1911PD 45 4.25 FS Black

Bass Pro has this on sale right now for $779.97, they say that is $200 off the regular price.

I have heard nothing but good reports on the S & W 1911s.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #20

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I read (in a couple of different places) that the LAPD SWAT team uses Kimber for their sidearm.
I have a hard time thinking that a LE group such as that would use a "compromise" firearm.

On topic. I have no experience with 1911 handguns which brings me to this thread, however I tthink Smith & Wesson is a company you can be reasonably sure of to make a quality product. My "Glock-killa" M&P9 is flawless imo and with just a little TLC the already good trigger can be great.

Last edited by cswann1; 04-06-2011 at 11:32 PM.