S&W @ Houlton, Maine
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

S&W @ Houlton, Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W @ Houlton, Maine

FYI; S&W's response to my email:

Hello,

The frames for the 1911 pistols are still forged. All of the markings on the frame are put on with a laser, not stamped.

The Springfield location is still our company headquarters and the majority of production takes place here. The decision was reached earlier this year to move the 1911 production to Houlton, Maine to fill space in the plant.

Regards,

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

S&W 1911's are beautiful guns.
I just wish they would make one with a standard extractor

Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #3

Hello Dave, I am so pleased to hear about the S&W plant in Houlton. I am descended from the founders of Houlton through my grandmother, Florence Ingersoll. One of the streets there is named for her (and two others for her sisters - one sister is missing from the streets). Anyway, I saw a picture of the 1911s in your add in the latest NRA Rifleman and I had to check it out. I gotta get a Houlton 1911 some time. Do they make a good concealed carry version? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMUSPI View Post
FYI; S&W's response to my email:

Hello,

The frames for the 1911 pistols are still forged. All of the markings on the frame are put on with a laser, not stamped.

The Springfield location is still our company headquarters and the majority of production takes place here. The decision was reached earlier this year to move the 1911 production to Houlton, Maine to fill space in the plant.

Regards,

Dave

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adekoyejo View Post
Hello Dave, I am so pleased to hear about the S&W plant in Houlton. I am descended from the founders of Houlton through my grandmother, Florence Ingersoll. One of the streets there is named for her (and two others for her sisters - one sister is missing from the streets). Anyway, I saw a picture of the 1911s in your add in the latest NRA Rifleman and I had to check it out. I gotta get a Houlton 1911 some time. Do they make a good concealed carry version? Thanks.
This thread was started a year ago

Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 151

looks like maybe he just joined...just sayin'

Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #6

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsuper44 View Post
looks like maybe he just joined...just sayin'
True-
But he musta done A Lot of reading to decide to repley to a year old post

Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

Default Houlton S&W

OK guys, I was searching for info on the S&W plant in Houlton and the thread popped up. I had no idea it was an old discussion. However, my interest and query still apply. I only noticed recently through an ad in Rifleman magazine that there is a S&W plant in Houlton.
That's it. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 151

adekoyejo, Stick around, there are alot of knowledgeable 1911 people here. I think you would like it here. Terry.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #9

Default 1911

Thanks, I love my 1911. So does my daughter who is deadly accurate with it. It's a custom weapon that I won with my 9mm baretta. The trigger is competition light and it shoots like a dream. Of course, full size 1911s tend to be too big for carrying concealed and I also have issues with single action in a concealed weapon too, but that doesn't stop me from carrying the colt mustang.
What I really wanted to learn more about was the S&W plant in Houlton, ME. I see the also produce anexcellent updated variant of the Walther PPK. The 1911s are just beautiful looking too. Like the best Kimbers.
What I'd like to see (also like the Kimber) is a 3" barrel and streamlined grip etc. with good sights. We'll see.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adekoyejo View Post
Thanks, I love my 1911. So does my daughter who is deadly accurate with it. It's a custom weapon that I won with my 9mm baretta. The trigger is competition light and it shoots like a dream. Of course, full size 1911s tend to be too big for carrying concealed and I also have issues with single action in a concealed weapon too, but that doesn't stop me from carrying the colt mustang.
What I really wanted to learn more about was the S&W plant in Houlton, ME. I see the also produce anexcellent updated variant of the Walther PPK. The 1911s are just beautiful looking too. Like the best Kimbers.
What I'd like to see (also like the Kimber) is a 3" barrel and streamlined grip etc. with good sights. We'll see.
From what I hear, S&W has moved their ENTIRE 1911 production to Maine. It frees up their Springfield plant to make their up-and-coming line of Pro-Series revolvers (I want one). It is a "win-win" situation, as Smith bought brand new machinery to produce their newest E-Series 1911s. Using the very latest CNC machines, they will be producing 1911's at a $900 - 1300 price that riveals (okay, so I can't spell) those at $2500. I plan on purchasing at least 3 of their new E-Series. (Okay; I have been drinking.)

Last edited by parinoid54; 06-17-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Newest Threads