S&W 1911 slide sticking on recoil
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

S&W 1911 slide sticking on recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W 1911 slide sticking on recoil

I have a very Accurate S&W that has never given me a problem for about a 1000 rounds. Today I noticed the slide was slow to return after each shot and after a few more it began sticking in the full recoil position as if it had an empty mag but it didn't. I just got home from the range so I haven't taken it apart to clean it yet but was hoping someone might tell me what I should look for when I do. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 406 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you need to look at both sides of the guide rails and insure you didn't Gaul the rails. to ne sounds like the gun was getting tight either through heat expansion or debris

Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I've seen that problem occur with a recoil buffer installed. The buffer started getting chewed up, and hanging up the slide.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3474 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Any follow up?
How about a couple of pics of the frame slide rails.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #5

UTF, you are the grand prize winner. Great call! His (her?) answer reminded me that this gun is the only 1911 I have ever put a buffer pad in. When I got inside I found the remains of the rubber buffer wedged in the guide spring about a half inch in front of the link pin. I thoroughly cleaned and examined the gun (sorry, didn't think to take pics) and found no damage to rails or anything else. I took it to the range yesterday and once again it runs perfectly. Thanks for the replies.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
UTF, you are the grand prize winner. Great call! His (her?) answer reminded me that this gun is the only 1911 I have ever put a buffer pad in. When I got inside I found the remains of the rubber buffer wedged in the guide spring about a half inch in front of the link pin. I thoroughly cleaned and examined the gun (sorry, didn't think to take pics) and found no damage to rails or anything else. I took it to the range yesterday and once again it runs perfectly. Thanks for the replies.
get rid of the recoil buffers. i use to run them years ago and had the same problems. i don't use them anymore. if running hotter loads, change the recoil spring to a heavier one, and if running lighter loads, run a lighter recoil spring. recoil buffers usually cause more problems than they solve.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 406 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man
glad to have been wrong

Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #8

I'm glad you were too W3. I didn't go into detail before but this 1911 has been converted to a 400 Corbon which I love. I replaced the 16# spring with an 18# spring due to the stronger round and decided it was a good time to try the buffers. It took less than about 300 rounds to destroy the buffer. I don't think I will use them any more as recommended by Axxe55. Thanks for all the input.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
I'm glad you were too W3. I didn't go into detail before but this 1911 has been converted to a 400 Corbon which I love. I replaced the 16# spring with an 18# spring due to the stronger round and decided it was a good time to try the buffers. It took less than about 300 rounds to destroy the buffer. I don't think I will use them any more as recommended by Axxe55. Thanks for all the input.
if you have a problem with the slide battering the frame, then go to a heavier recoil spring. Brownell's and MidwayUSA both carry Wolff springs and carry them in various spring rates so that you can tailor the spring rate to the load you shoot.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3474 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

If the casings are falling at your feet, the recoil spring is too heavy.
If the casings are shooting to the next county, the recoil spring is too light.
If the casings are going 6-8 feet behind you and a little to the right, then the spring is just right.

With the caliber you are shooting, do not expect more than 3000 rounds before you get another.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)