S/W 1911 PD issues w gun and customer support - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > S/W 1911 PD issues w gun and customer support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Woah crap!

Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Damn!! That is some serious chunkage taken out from one 3 foot fall!

This is yet another reason for all steel construction.

Thanks for the photos....

JD

Old 02-20-2010, 03:17 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'll be careful not to drop my aluminum frame pro carry.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #24

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

One thing to remember here. Guns are not designed to be dropped. Its not normal wear.

BUT, it make me wonder if the 1911PD passed the California drop tests??

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #25

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
One thing to remember here. Guns are not designed to be dropped. Its not normal wear.

BUT, it make me wonder if the 1911PD passed the California drop tests??
Thought the CA drop tests were to detect AD issues not quality of firearm construction.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #26
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Desperado-Ops,I take it from the photo's that you just dropped the frame and not the complete gun. Am I correct? If so,I can see why it was damaged at the end of the frame. I'm sorry for your accident,but this was your own doing,and you shouldn't hold S&W accountable on this. I think they make a great 1911.
Alloy's are what they are,you hit a curb with a steel wheel you bend it,you do the same with an alloy mag wheel you break it!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #27

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Thought the CA drop tests were to detect AD issues not quality of firearm construction.
Your correct. BUT, since they drop them in 6 different directions, one beind directly on the muzzle, a sensible person would expect breakage upon impact.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Desperado-Ops,I take it from the photo's that you just dropped the frame and not the complete gun. Am I correct? If so,I can see why it was damaged at the end of the frame. I'm sorry for your accident,but this was your own doing,and you shouldn't hold S&W accountable on this. I think they make a great 1911.
Alloy's are what they are,you hit a curb with a steel wheel you bend it,you do the same with an alloy mag wheel you break it!
Yes that is correct sir. I dropped the frame during reassembly just after cleaning it. I'm sure the gun and my hands had a small amount of residual break free on them.
I think people may not be getting the point of this post.
I'll be more clear:
If you are in a position that you may use this particular make/model of gun in defense of your life or another's beware that the construction of the gun is not durable enough to withstand the abuse that the gun MAY encounter during an actual gun fight.
If you ONLY intend to use this gun at the gun range then be careful during reassembly because the frame is more brittle than a normal steel gun and cannot withstand a waist-high drop onto a range floor. This gun is harder to reassemble than any other 1911 I have ever disassembled/reassembled before. It is trickier and easy to lose a good grip of especially when your hands or the gun may have solvent and/or oil on them.
If for some reason you do buy this gun and the same thing happens to you, DO NOT waste your money by sending it back to S&W, EVEN THOUGH THEY WILL REQUEST IT, becasue they will NOT cover it under warranty.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #29

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

WOW, 2 years and only 200 rounds through it? (That's my minimum for a new gun maiden range trip!)

Might have raised a flag at S&W.

I'm just sayin'.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
WOW, 2 years and only 200 rounds through it? (That's my minimum for a new gun maiden range trip!)

Might have raised a flag at S&W.

I'm just sayin'.
I don't shoot my guns much. Usually just for qualification purposes. Too much money these days for ammo.