S/W 1911 PD issues w gun and customer support - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > S/W 1911 PD issues w gun and customer support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I apologize for not introducing myself in the new members arena of your forums. I've actually been a regular on a number of the other gun forums, however, I rarely post anything.
In the past, prior to buying a new gun I would scour the forums and google the make and model of any pistol, shotgun, muzzleloader or rifle I was considering buying. I would read all the posts regarding the models I was interested in and regarding customer support. I would almost always factor those discussions prior to spending the $. This 1911 is not my first, it's actually my third (if you consider the one I had in the Army M.P.s). My other 1911 is a full sized Springfield Armory that I had tricked out for PPC. That gun has been very durable as have my Glock, 3 Sigs, a Bersa .380 (don't laugh), a Beretta .22, a Thompson Center muzzleloader, a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2, Lanber shotgun, and two remington 30-06s. I'm sure I'm forgetting some guns but my point is that I'm not new to guns.
I don't mean to offend anyone on your forums and respect the opinions of the members even if they are not my own opinion.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #12

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome to the forum, no harm done, just tryin' to help.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I wish I could say that this surprises me, but it does not. Smith & Wesson does have a reputation for being "difficult" in the warranty area of their purchases. This is not the first story that I have heard, but I have personally never experienced it first hand.

I do know that a few years ago they had a nightmare of a PR problem with dozens of pistols got "shipped" without a firing pin in them. Apparently there was an internal audit and the firing pins needed to be replaced, were removed, others weren't installed, but the guns shipped anyways.

I can appreciate wanting to get the word out there, especially when you spend that kind of money and then have to turn around and spend more. The guys, at times, get a little over protective when a new poster comes in looking to tell a story of horror and woe.

We should all take a few minutes and consider what we would do if this had happened to one of us and we were not already part of a gun forum. Would you not want to let the information get out to the people who could be affected by it?

Did you take any pictures of the damage by any chance? Can you scan the letter back from S&W just so everyone can see the dis-service for themselves?

Sorry to hear you got bent over on a pricey gun. I am not a fan of poly or "other" framed weapons, which is why I carry steel exclusively.

Are you keeping the repaired weapon?

Best of luck in the future.

JD
I hope that what happened to mine does not happen to any of you, but if it does, I forewarned you.
I will take photos of the gun and post them in here as soon as I can. I will also scan the invoice from S/W but I can't get to it today because I actually left it at work while I was trying to call a customer service supervisor. Oh yeah that reminds me of another part of the incident. I called and requested a supervisor the following day, was transferred to a woman's voicemail and never received a call back (that was 3 days ago).
Again, I'm sorry for stirring the proverbial pot.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I wish I could say that this surprises me, but it does not. Smith & Wesson does have a reputation for being "difficult" in the warranty area of their purchases. This is not the first story that I have heard, but I have personally never experienced it first hand.

I do know that a few years ago they had a nightmare of a PR problem with dozens of pistols got "shipped" without a firing pin in them. Apparently there was an internal audit and the firing pins needed to be replaced, were removed, others weren't installed, but the guns shipped anyways.

I can appreciate wanting to get the word out there, especially when you spend that kind of money and then have to turn around and spend more. The guys, at times, get a little over protective when a new poster comes in looking to tell a story of horror and woe.

We should all take a few minutes and consider what we would do if this had happened to one of us and we were not already part of a gun forum. Would you not want to let the information get out to the people who could be affected by it?

Did you take any pictures of the damage by any chance? Can you scan the letter back from S&W just so everyone can see the dis-service for themselves?

Sorry to hear you got bent over on a pricey gun. I am not a fan of poly or "other" framed weapons, which is why I carry steel exclusively.

Are you keeping the repaired weapon?

Best of luck in the future.

JD
The functionality of the gun wasn't affected so I asked them to return it to me without changing out the frame. S&W did perform a funtionality/reliability test which it passed.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Desperado, there is no harm done. We have had people come along and trash this company or that company in their first post with no real evidence.

As I know a bit about S&W and their auto-line problems, I was a little more accepting because this is NOT the first time I have heard of such a "type" of case.

The guys here are all really good guys. Lon gets a bit defense of his new forum because he does like it here so much and doesn't want to see it "tarnished" with "unsubstanciated" claims.

As I said, no harm done. If you stick around, you will see that the guys here really care about reputation and are always a bit concerned when a "new" guy shows with a woe story and no pictures.

Welcome aboard.

JD

Old 02-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #16

I took the photos of the frame to post on here but my battery died. It should be charged enough in about 5 or so minutes so I thought I'd give some more info...
So I posted the same original thread on a few other forums to spread the word and one of them actually deleted it because it was considered to be a negative post. I don't get it. I'm actually trying to be helpful. Here's a copy of a post I made in response to another guys remarks on yet another web site. I'm thinking now that I made a mistake by even presenting this issue on any website. It seems to be a waste of time. I said I will post pics and the invoice so I will do that but I'm getting aggravated with having to defend myself for trying to point out what I consider to be a durability issue and a customer service issue.

Originally Posted by xxxxxxx
Let me see if I understand this. You dropped a lightweight handgun made of semi exotic alloy onto a CONCRETE floor which cause cause multiple frame cracks. Then, you expect Smith & Wesson to repair this on their dime because it was a defect in materials or workmanship?

IMHO, I think that's unreasonable. If you expect a scandium framed weapon to have the same durability that tactical tupperware does, perhaps that is the reason Glocks are made of plastic and are heavily LEO issue. They are essentially a tool which will perform reliably & provide acceptable accuracy levels even when given less than TLC. With scandium, it would seem to me that, regardless of the model and manufacturer, your trading reduced weight for durability.
Bruce

I'm with you on part of that statement you made. This particular gun is made and advertised on S&W's L.E. page also. It is NOT a viable option as a primary L.E. gun in my opinion. I want you to understand that real life gun fights don't always happen on carpet. They happen on the streets and sidewalks. It is not unlikely that in an actual gunfight you may drop your gun or fall to the ground at a distance above 3 feet. To me a gun is a tool. A tool that my life depends on. If that tool can't take minor abuse then it is useless to me. If my post can prevent another cop from getting hurt because he doesn't carry this gun into a potentially life ending battle, then my goal is accomplished. If you like to baby your tools or only shoot your gun to make nice holes in a paper target only then that is your choice. My gun needs to be able to withstand the reality for what is was created for.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would agree with your last statement. A real fire fight is not going to take place in the comfort of the Mcdonald's playball pit.

You might be in a situation where you slip and fall during a run, you might just tumble to get into cover and slam your weapon off the Earth and find yourself holding a really expensive rock.

Try to not get discouraged. People, on this forum, didn't know you from Adam. You could be some low level employee from a competing company or you could be a 12 year old talking about of your starfish.

I sincerely think that if you spend some time here, you will appreciate that the people here truly care about all things firearms related and that includes a companies reputation.

JD

Old 02-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #18

This website has been the most open so far. The website that deleted my post had some really good discussion going until the moderator deleted it.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #19

If all goes right here are the pics of my 1911.
[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #20

Ok first try didn't work. Here's #2.

2010-feb-009.jpg   2010-feb-007.jpg   2010-feb-008.jpg