Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > S/W 1911 PD issues w gun and customer support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S/W 1911 PD issues w gun and customer support

I purchased a SW1911PD w/crimson trace about 2 years ago and have only put about 200 rounds through it. While reassembling the gun after cleaning, I accidentally dropped the gun from waist level and the front of the frame impacted the concrete range floor at my PD. As a result, the frame cracked off on each side about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I called SW and explained the issue and they told me to send it in along with a letter explaining the issue. It costed me $60 to FedEx overnight it to S.W.. About 2 weeks later I get an invoice in the mail for $445 (LEO discount applied).
I call S/W back and talk to a rep who says that the damage was my fault since I dropped it. I explain to him that it occured during reassembly after cleaning and that the gun should not be damaged from a 3 foot fall. I don't know if the scandium alloy they use is a weak material or what. I've dropped my cell phone from distances much higher and have no damage. How is it possible that such an insignificant drop could cause this damage? I could understand if I ran over it with a tank or dropped it out of an airplane like a Glock but a 3 foot fall, C'mon!
Anyways, if you were on the fence about buying one of these scandium guns, my advice is to stay away from it unless you plan on putting it in a velvet lined case that is only inches from a carpeted floor.
The durability is unacceptable. At least I know not to ever consider using this as a duty gun.
If you agree with me that this hould not have heappened then please pass the word to anyone you know who is considering this gun.
Here's a link to the model I have:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...egory_rn=15709

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So the purpose of your very first post in this forum is to flame Smith and Wesson?

I have one and I love it. The service I've received from Smith has always been exemplary.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

At least they gave you the LEO discount.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

To me it's like wrecking your car and asking for a new one...

Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
So the purpose of your very first post in this forum is to flame Smith and Wesson?

I have one and I love it. The service I've received from Smith has always been exemplary.
The purpose of my post is twofold. One of the reasons is to vent because I'm frustrated by the lack of support provided by S&W. And the second reason is to tell my story so that others that may have been considering this gun and gun company can read about the problems I've had with this particular model.
My first duty gun was a S&W 5906 9mm. I never had a problem with the gun. It shot flawlessly. I never had to contact customer support about the gun so I don't know how they would've handled an issue like this in 1993.
I'm not flaming anyone, BUT I know that if I would've read a negative post about the durability of any gun I was considering as a duty gun I would've thought twice before spending $1200.
Wouldn't you want to know if there may be durability issues with a lightweight alloy gun you were considering buying?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
To me it's like wrecking your car and asking for a new one...

No. Its more like hitting a pothole with your car and the doors fell off. The gun should be made to withstand some abuse. It's a gun, not an egg.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado-OPs View Post
BUT I know that if I would've read a negative post about the durability of any gun I was considering as a duty gun I would've thought twice before spending $1200.
You should have shopped around. Just saw one Local for $600. ANd yes, it was a PD

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #8

It's just an unusual first post. Most first-timers just kinda introduce themselves before they start talking bad about a certain gunmaker.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I wish I could say that this surprises me, but it does not. Smith & Wesson does have a reputation for being "difficult" in the warranty area of their purchases. This is not the first story that I have heard, but I have personally never experienced it first hand.

I can appreciate wanting to get the word out there, especially when you spend that kind of money and then have to turn around and spend more. The guys, at times, get a little over protective when a new poster comes in looking to tell a story of horror and woe.

We should all take a few minutes and consider what we would do if this had happened to one of us and we were not already part of a gun forum. Would you not want to let the information get out to the people who could be affected by it?

Did you take any pictures of the damage by any chance? Can you scan the letter back from S&W just so everyone can see the dis-service for themselves?

Sorry to hear you got bent over on a pricey gun. I am not a fan of poly or "other" framed weapons, which is why I carry steel exclusively.

Are you keeping the repaired weapon?

Best of luck in the future.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 02-20-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: I was confused about S companies...

Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Would you not want to let the information get out to the people who could be affected by it?
Sure I would. Just want to know the cred is there before making what could be damaging statements about a company.