Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > S&W 1911 or Colt Gold Cup Trophy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

What's +1 mean? Lol

Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #32

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm right handed Canebrake. I don't care about an ambi safety either. As far as the grip safety and bite, I have small hands for my size and have shot many guns and have never once been bitten by anything.

There is a range in J'ville NC where I was stationed that rented handguns, and I've test driven everyone they have I'm sure. One was a milspec 1911, can't remember the maker though, it had no beavertail at all.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #33

Without a doubt, the Colt is one fine, old school (read - WWII) 1911. But you said carry, I believe. Look at the new S&W "E" series 1911's, especially the SC framed 4.25" models. The standard features are outstanding. As far as the VERY tiring arguement of their external extractor - consider all the other manufacturers who are now using it. No adjustments for different ammo; extreme durability against breakage (the S&W Performance Center's use of the large external extractor over many years have NO record of breakage/bending out of regulation which are now used on their "E" series.) The Smith's factory rounded butt on their scandium framed pistols (which are far stronger than other's (Colts) plain aluminum framed pistols) are a breeze to conceal carry.

Canebrake is right that the Gold Cup is a great target pistol; but in no way a carry/combat pistol. As for Colt's everyday, Grandpa's WWII gun, why would I/you/anyone want to carry a pistol with such tolerances that were designed for carrying through mud in a war environment? In a city street fight would you want such "slop"???

Last edited by parinoid54; 09-28-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #34

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
Without a doubt, the Colt is one fine, old school (read - WWII) 1911. But you said carry, I believe. Look at the new S&W "E" series 1911's, especially the SC framed 4.25" models. The standard features are outstanding. As far as the VERY tiring arguement of their external extractor - consider all the other manufacturers who are now using it. No adjustments for different ammo; extreme durability against breakage (the S&W Performance Center's use of the large external extractor over many years have NO record of breakage/bending out of regulation which are now used on their "E" series.) The Smith's factory rounded butt on their scandium framed pistols (which are far stronger than other's (Colts) plain aluminum framed pistols) are a breeze to conceal carry.

Canebrake is right that the Gold Cup is a great target pistol; but in no way a carry/combat pistol. As for Colt's everyday, Grandpa's WWII gun, why would I/you/anyone want to carry a pistol with such tolerances that were designed for carrying through mud in a war environment? In a city street fight would you want such "slop"???
This is the E series that I was thinking about.
Product: Model SW1911<br>E-Series™, .45 ACP
I have to keep the price in mind, these 2 choices (Colt GCT and this one) are about the max of what I'm willing/able to spend. Yes the extra 2-3 hundred extra for a decked out carry E-series makes them unattractive to me.

And as for "slop" and grandpa's WWII gun? My grandfather carried a Colt serialed in the 500's for most of his adult life. I don't mean 500k's, but 500's as in second shipment to leave the factory in 1912, stamped for US Navy I believe. It did fine for him, though thankfully he never had to use it in a life/death situation (it wasn't his issued gun, he wasn't in the service, he bought it surplus in the 50's-60's) He did do plenty of target shooting with it, and never had a problem. This is the gun that my jerk of a dad snatched up while Papaw was on his deathbed. The gun that he said would be mine when he passed away.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #35
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_1911 View Post
What's +1 mean? Lol
Mr Cane agrees. Now I have +2.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT