S&W 1911 or Colt Gold Cup Trophy? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > S&W 1911 or Colt Gold Cup Trophy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I would take the Colt.I couldn't afford one so I got a 1911R1.
You don't have to round off the sights with the Remington and doing so to a brand new Colt IMHO takes away from the value.
If the tax return isn't that good you might want to reconsider your options.

1911r1-target-003-small-.jpg  

Old 09-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #22

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm not too sure about the tax return, and the 1911R1 was actually one of my choices for a cheaper gun.

But, we already have money saved up for the aforementioned Disneyworld trip. We've actually been saving for several years, and would have gone a couple of years ago, but something always comes up like vehicle repairs, injuries, deaths in the family, crappy economy, and so forth.

Y'all keep your fingers crossed, and hope I don't run into any unforeseen circumstances!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #23

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
OK, I have to ask.

Those here favoring the Colt. Have you shot a S&W 1911 made in the last five years? If so, did you fire it more than once?

I would have answered Colt myself if we were talking about S&W of years ago. Today, S&W has them beat. The newer Colts especially have gone down hill. I hate to say it but I think Colt will shut down in the next few years. They are no longer making revolvers and their handgun production is dropping.

Before suggesting one over another, try owning both and then firing each long enough to get the feel of both guns.

I fired about 40 rounds through a friends new S&W 1911 the first of last year. The next day I ordered me one. Since then I have bought another new and one used from a friend that needed money badly. The S&W 1911 is not the same gun it was when it went into production.

Yes, I have shot both. I have no gripe against the S&W (other than MIM parts that I'd need to change out), but would still go Colt.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #24

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I would be carrying it, but I think I would keep the sights as it would be shot more for fun and practice on the range. I haven't had to use a gun since active duty, except for a raccoon. I think practice, proper carry position/equipment, and proper clothing would cut down enough on the snag risk.

Someone correct me if I'm thinking wrong.
I would never consider caring a Gold Cup. It's not made for that purpose. It is built for competition/target use. Not a good fit for concealed carry.

If you want a carry 1911 you should look at the Colt model O1880XSE Light Weight Government;

Or my favorite, the Light Weight Commander;

Adjustable (or any) sights on a carry gun are worthless! If you can't hit your target 3" out of your holster you.....well.......won't be around for me to say "I told you so."

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
OK, I have to ask.

Those here favoring the Colt. Have you shot a S&W 1911 made in the last five years? If so, did you fire it more than once?

I would have answered Colt myself if we were talking about S&W of years ago. Today, S&W has them beat. The newer Colts especially have gone down hill. I hate to say it but I think Colt will shut down in the next few years. They are no longer making revolvers and their handgun production is dropping.

Before suggesting one over another, try owning both and then firing each long enough to get the feel of both guns.

I fired about 40 rounds through a friends new S&W 1911 the first of last year. The next day I ordered me one. Since then I have bought another new and one used from a friend that needed money badly. The S&W 1911 is not the same gun it was when it went into production.
Yes, I have and yes a new(er) Smith, and quite a few rounds to be exact. They (S&W 1911s) are a fine guns but they are not equal, IMHO to the Colt.

I think Colt, and Smith will be around for many years to come. Unless Colt starts to build the Python again, then I don't know about S&W.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #26

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Canebrake
I know the Gold Cup Target isn't designed for carry, but is there anything about it that would be really detrimental to carrying it? I know there are guns more suited for the purpose, but for me I want something that would be a good target gun also.

I'm gonna keep these other makes in mind. Remember too, I carry a S&W K frame now, so size I don't really consider an issue, the only thing I'm worried about might be those sights.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:13 AM   #27

Let us review the original question and choices , purpose for purchase...a carry pistol and the fact he did not want to do any upgrades :

The Gold Cup is a fine target pistol, it has sharp edged sights, lacks a beavertail safety and the ambi safety. The 60's grip safety will bite you.

The modern creature features are included on the S&W at no added cost.
The beavertail safety to spread out the recoil and eliminate hammer bite.
It has good visible sights without sharp edges and had the ambi safety.

To bring the Gold Cup up to the same features would add 300 to 400 dollars and gunsmithing time....WHY ?

S&W 1911's sell 20 to 1 in law enforcement purchases...due to the features for the dollar and better warranty support.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #28

My series 80 cold cup has thumb safety and dove tail safety. The sights are the only real big problem for carry and they can be dehorned.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
Let us review the original question and choices , purpose for purchase...a carry pistol and the fact he did not want to do any upgrades :

The Gold Cup is a fine target pistol, it has sharp edged sights, lacks a beavertail safety and the ambi safety. The 60's grip safety will bite you.

The modern creature features are included on the S&W at no added cost.
The beavertail safety to spread out the recoil and eliminate hammer bite.
It has good visible sights without sharp edges and had the ambi safety.

To bring the Gold Cup up to the same features would add 300 to 400 dollars and gunsmithing time....WHY ?

S&W 1911's sell 20 to 1 in law enforcement purchases...due to the features for the dollar and better warranty support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_1911 View Post
My series 80 cold cup has thumb safety and dove tail safety. The sights are the only real big problem for carry and they can be dehorned.
+1 Mr 1911!

Trip, are you left handed?

Colt Gold Cup Series

- orangello

Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2723 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 267

I like both brands. But in the 1911 world I'd have to give the nod to Colt. S&W builds a decent 1911, but when in doubt, go with the original. That said, a Gold Cup wouldn't be my first choice for carry. Just my $.02, but I'd steer toward a Commander sized version or even a CCO.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman