Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > S&w 1911???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I had a S&W 1911 with the factory laser grips and then made the mistake of letting my best friend shoot it,he wouldn't let me have it back,had to sell it to him and he's a Colt guy. I have shot alot of 1911's and the S&W is right up there with the best of the factory guns. None are perfect,and all need to be tweaked with the normal trigger job and other perks that go with a 1911. I will say that out of the box I was really impressed with the S&W,but the laser grips are really a waste of money,they just came with it and were fun to play with at the indoor range. Springfield,Kimber,Para Ordnance,S&W,and Colt all make good 1911's it just depends on your taste,and how much you want to spend.
Thanks everyone for the input.

When you say they all need to be tweaked with the normal trigger job and other perks, does that include the Kimber?

How much does the trigger job run and what does it do for you?

What other "perks" would I want to do?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
As much as I hate to complement Kimber, it has the JMB designed extractor.

If your going to spend Kimber money do yourself a favor and go buy the 'real thing', get the Colt and be happy!
Hi Canbrake, I haven't been hanging out in this forum for long but somehow I knew you were gonna suggest the Colt.

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 02-02-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
Thanks everyone for the input.

When you say they all need to be tweaked with the normal trigger job and other perks, does that include the Kimber?

How much does the trigger job run and what does it do for you?

What other "perks" would I want to do?
I would disagree slightly with Tx in that not every 1911 needs to be tweaked. You get what you pay for. If you get a custom gun, it comes with a perfect trigger. I got a Kimber Custom II, and it needed a trigger job. I got a Raptor II from Kimber's Pro Shop and the trigger was damn near perfect, as was the rest of the gun.

None of my Nighthawk's needed trigger jobs - take that Cane! LOL

A trigger job is essentially taking up the "creep" on the front end of the trigger and takes out the over travel before it resets. A good "street trigger" or carry style trigger job should run less than $50. It's not hard and they should give you a 5 pull average with a trigger guage to make sure you are getting your monies worth.

I like mine around the 2# to 2.5# pull. Just enough to let you know you are consciously pulling the trigger, but not so long as to let the pistol wander off target from the shock of adrenaline that will dump into your system the minute you have to actually use the damn thing.

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #14
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1115 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

What I meant was most factory guns not custom guns need to have a trigger job. The high end factory guns usually have had this done as part of the factory upgrade,but your run of the mill stock factory gun could use a trigger job.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club