Is S.A.M. as dodgy as it sounds? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Is S.A.M. as dodgy as it sounds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
But logic was never any politician's strong point ]
It's not that much different here as we have lots of politicians without a lick of common sense. Thankfully, many states here don't have the crazy restrictive gun laws that New York, California, and others have.

Back on topic, while I don't know the gun pricing down under I can say that most Philippine built 1911s are good quality guns. I've owned a number of Armscor built guns and they are decent quality shooters. For a time I had an Armscor double-stack 9mm 1911 pistol and it was well built and a good shooter. In general, 9mm 1911 pattern pistols are expensive here as well.

I'll echo the recommendation for CZs, very good guns...

Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
It's not that much different here as we have lots of politicians without a lick of common sense. Thankfully, many states here don't have the crazy restrictive gun laws that New York, California, and others have.
Just multiply the Cali/NY etc situation by oh, about 1000X and you get the idea of what we are subject to

I think it's congenital with politicians, huh? It's like that old saying: 'A politician is someone who when they come to the light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy more tunnel' lol

Quote:
Back on topic, while I don't know the gun pricing down under I can say that most Philippine built 1911s are good quality guns. I've owned a number of Armscor built guns and they are decent quality shooters. For a time I had an Armscor double-stack 9mm 1911 pistol and it was well built and a good shooter. In general, 9mm 1911 pattern pistols are expensive here as well.

I'll echo the recommendation for CZs, very good guns...

Hey thanks NGIB; I'll keep that in mind. Am planning to get out to a gun shop pretty soon (even though trying to find one that deals in handguns is friggin hard in this country! go into one & it's wall-to-wall bolt actions lol) and see if I can actually handle a few. That might help narrow the field a lil - I do have ridiculously small hands so getting a good fit will be important I'm assuming.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thought I'd tack this on here rather than start another thread, since it kinda relates.

Took a trip to (one of our rare) gun shops today, and apart from finding the pistol safe I am eventually going to buy ($165, 3 handgun capacity, 6mm door/10mm body steel, 4-masonry-bolted etc ie confirms to the stringent legislation, so bargain) I got to handle a CZ 75B...and I liked it. A lot. Damn it, even the mag release was in a position I could reach! (albeit on the righthanded side, heh)

I was pretty suprised at it's weight, having only handled polymers before...solid as hell....according to the specs it comes in at 1kg. But due to my innate punyness I dunno if i could hold it up for long periods lol...now I REALLY want to find a SP-01 phantom to get a comparison. Would 200g make that much of a difference?

This inquiring mind needs to know.

(edit: Can also use standard CZ mags as well, which is a plus since I would need at least 4-5)

Thanks for advising me to check it out guys

Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #24

There's really nothing to shooting a 1kg pistol. The benefit of one of these solid steel guns is the weight actually helps absorb the recoil for fast follow up shots. I shoot a full-size 1911 in bowling pin shoots and the weight and pointability are a great help in quick reaction shooting.

Since carrying a pistol isn't in the cards for you, I wouldn't let weight be a limiting factor at all...

Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hey NGIB

Appreciate that experienced advice. OK now I know I was probably splitting straws a bit there - but didn't know enough to recognise it lol. Being pretty much utter gun noob n all I'm always ready to learn from the experts

Now I just gotta hold a lot more guns, if I can't actually shoot any to try em out, unfortunately.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Again, not wanting to create a new thread for this..

Had my 2nd IPSC shoot today and it was frustrating yet hilarious. The USP I've been using jammed about every 2nd round & kept going out of battery for some reason...didn't do a whole lot for the flow of the stage! Or my times I now have a bruised side of my fist from whacking the slide forward constantly lol. Ahh well it's all experience so I don't really mind.

But the point of this post wasn't to bitch about that I not only got to hold someone's CZ Shadow (smooth as silk trigger but heavy, man lol) one of the members said that the wife of one of his acquaintances wants to sell her S&W MP9 and I might be interested? Would come with 5 mags and holster, only had about 500 rounds put thru it from new, going for $800. Has had a trigger-lightening job done on it as well.

I don't know much, but sounds like a pretty good deal since it goes for over a grand new and without any extra mags/holster. He said the club could hold onto it, I could try it out and if I liked it I'd just wait until this time year when it could be legally passed to my name through a registered dealer.

Anyone got opinions as to this gun? I've done some preliminary research and it seems to be not too bad.

Last edited by zhuk; 08-29-2009 at 07:01 AM.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #27

I've had an M&P in both .40 and .45 and with a little trigger work they are very good shooters. In a poly gun I slightly prefer the Springer XD but the M&P is a very close second. An M&P in great shape with 5 mags and holster would sell pretty well for $500 or so in my area so it's probably a reasonable deal "down under"...

Old 08-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, I think 800 bucks would be a good deal, as I said a new MP would definately come in at over a grand...and extra mags go for more than $50 each I'd guess. I have no idea about holster prices

I really don't understand where the extra $$ comes from since our exchange rate isn't THAT bad; about A.83c = $US1 currently. Must be a LOT of import duty etc attached!

Many thanks for your views on that NGIB; I value you taking the time and trouble to educate. I hear you on the CZ and I've assimilated that info however that would be more than $1400 all up though for a basic 75 + mags/holster. Kinda leaning to something a lil cheaper for a first gun plus if I can get to shoot the MP before laying down the cash, that goes a long way to assisting in making a sound decision.

Shall have to wait and see...but my mind is still open

Old 08-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #29

I actually greatly prefer the trigger on an M&P to a CZ. I'm not really fond of DA/SA guns in general - in fact I just traded my only DA/SA Sig away for another quasi 1911 (the Para P16). If the M&P trigger has been tweaked (not difficult to do), I think you'll find it a very good shooter...

Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well that's a recommendation I can live with! I'm definately going to have to try it now...

thanks again NGIB

Newest Threads