Ruger SR1911 or Springfield Champion?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Ruger SR1911 or Springfield Champion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger SR1911 or Springfield Champion?

I am looking to add a 1911 to my collection and have narrowed it down to the two options above. What are some opinions about these two? Any other models in the same price range are welcome also.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I own a Ruger SR1911 and i love it! Picked mine up for 750 from Gander Mountain.
Pro's: She's a looker, price, made in the U.S., throated barrel for HP's, internal extractor just like the original 1911's had, and accurate!
Con's: Hard to find one, 8 rd mag is trash(only malfunctions mine has ever had were FTF's due to the weak spring they put in it), on mine(can't speak for others) i have to maintain a 6 o'clock hold as mine shoots about 2 inches high at 20-30 feet(for some this might acctually be a pro but i'm not a fan of the 6 o'clock hold, just my personal preference).
The factory 8rd mag has since been replaced with a Kimber 8rd mag and no malfunctions ever since. I have about 800 rds through mine and won't be selling it anytime soon. Once i figured out it was shooting high and adjusted for it, i shot a five shot about 1" group from 30 feet

As for the Springfield, only springer 1911 i've ever shot was my buddies Loaded and i must say they make a fine pistol as well so tough choice on your part haha but good luck bud hope this helps

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #3

Let me start by saying you can't really go wrong with either pistol. I own a Ruger SR1911 and I recently bought my wife a Springfield 1911 for Christmas. Having shot both, they're both great pistols.

I've had literally ZERO failures of ANY kind with my Ruger, and I had a whopping 1 failure to feed with the Springfield and that was during break-in, during our very first visit to the range with the pistol.

In contrast to Zombie Killer, I haven't had any trouble with the 8 round magazine supplied with my Ruger and the spring seems quite solid. My Ruger groups quite well at all ranges so far as well. Not trying to contradict him, just stating my personal experiences as he stated his. He's definitely right about the SR1911 being tough to find, at least in my area. I bought the first one to hit the counter at my local store within moments of them opening the box, and before I had my paperwork filled out, the only other one they had was being sold as well. Since then, and that was months ago, I haven't seen another in any shop in my area. Springfields, however, are everywhere and very reasonably priced.

Again, you can't go wrong with either pistol...there's no way you can lose here. If I were in your position it'd come down to whatever is readily available to you and whichever you like the finish on. Put both in your hands if you can - your'e bound to find SOMETHING about one, or the other, that just appeals to you more.

Best of luck with your purchase!

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

First let me say I LOVE Springfield Armory 1911's. They are my GO TO 1911...over Colt or Kimber.

That being said....the Champion or "JAMpion" as I call it is an abortive attempt at sicking an Officers length slide on a full sized grip frame. It sucks. I can make a 1911 run...but the Champion is NOT one I would trust my life to. I have owned four and not one of them was what I would call "bet your life on reliable"....no matter how much tuning and rebuilding I did.

Buy the Ruger.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I don't have either so no first hand experience with either. Both seem to have a good rep for quality & reliability with the edge going to Springfield for their excellant customer service. But, two different pistols in terms of the Ruger being a full size (5") & the Champion being a 4" on full size frame. To me, choice would come down to 'feel/balance'. In my case, without even picking them up, I think that the Champion would probably balance better in my hand. Hopefully, you will be able to check both out to see which one fits you best.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the input.

AZL you said you have a lot of Jams from the Champion. How many would you say you have had? For most Springfield models 1 out of 100 rounds is a lot. More than that?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a champion, 1000 rounds or more and no problems.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2841 Times on 1411 Posts
Likes Given: 294

A friend of mine has a Champion, it's never given him a moment's trouble.
His only gripe with it is the 4 inch barrel, as opposed to a proper Commander length, 4.25" ish. He is a tinkerer and enjoys swapping and upgrading things.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #9

I'm going to throw the Springfield Loaded into the mix as well. It comes in the black stainless with the dark grip and is in my price range. Decisions, decisions...

Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2841 Times on 1411 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub72ck View Post
I'm going to throw the Springfield Loaded into the mix as well. It comes in the black stainless with the dark grip and is in my price range. Decisions, decisions...
That's one of the things I like about SA: great selection.
I quite like the Black stainless look. Of the three you've listed, That's probably the direction I'd go. Just because of the look. Opinions vary, of course.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld