Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Ruger sr1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/ruger-sr1911-82220/)

broke-again124 01-23-2013 02:11 PM

Ruger sr1911

Are these guns on par with other manufacturers such as colt SA etc. I really like the way it feels but, I have no experience with them at all. Good buy at $800 out the door?

ScottA 01-23-2013 02:14 PM

Picked up one after Christmas. It is now my favorite range gun.

The reviews I've seen are overwhelmingly positive. Besides, it's a Ruger. There are a few manufacturers out there that you can't go wrong buying their stuff.

nitestalker 01-23-2013 02:22 PM

They are a nice looking gun. I have a number of 1911 .45 ACP caliber pistols. Ruger will add calibers in time. I would like one in .357 Sig.:)

StainlessSteel215 01-23-2013 02:22 PM

I've seen them cheaper, around the $700-750 mark. My (non professional) take on this 1911 from observation at my LGS:

-The finish is perfect, a semi matte medium brightness stainless steel
-The contours are very nice and simplistic, not many extra curves that stray from the original 191 design.
-The weight and balance is very nice, nice snug beaver tail grip
-I like how the edges are smoothed out, no sharp edges
-Has the classic muzzle bushing in high polish
-I personally love the Ruger checkered grips
-3 dot Novaks standard
-From what Ive read, accuracy and reliability and top notch
-SIMPLE, but very classy looking gun for for under $1000 you get a freaking top quality Ruger!

broke-again124 01-23-2013 02:26 PM

Okay, might pull the trigger on one later this week.

Olympus 01-23-2013 02:55 PM

They will definitely be a good quality gun from a maker with an excellent reputation. That being said, $800 is a HUGE mark-up on that gun. Being an FFL, I can tell you that's a ridiculous price knowing what dealer cost on that gun is. But the demand is high and the supply is low, so there are others willing to pay that price. It just wouldn't be me.

For the $800 price range, I would seriously consider a Sig 1911. Just throwing out another option to consider.

Fathead00 01-23-2013 03:19 PM

I love my SR1911 and haven't had one problem with it. I picked mine up for $720 and then my LGS has raised the price up to $830 now!!! If you pick one up, you will not regret it.:)

broke-again124 01-23-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus
They will definitely be a good quality gun from a maker with an excellent reputation. That being said, $800 is a HUGE mark-up on that gun. Being an FFL, I can tell you that's a ridiculous price knowing what dealer cost on that gun is. But the demand is high and the supply is low, so there are others willing to pay that price. It just wouldn't be me.

For the $800 price range, I would seriously consider a Sig 1911. Just throwing out another option to consider.

So are sigs considered to be better quality? What I really want is a very very good quality 1911. Any suggestions?

ScottA 01-23-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broke-again124 (Post 1106995)
So are sigs considered to be better quality? What I really want is a very very good quality 1911. Any suggestions?

There are production guns, like Ruger, Springfield, Remington, Sig, etc.

Then there are the custom and semi-custom guns. From here in my neighborhood, Les Baer immediately comes to my mind.

The production guns will all serve you well and are of very good quality. But if you want to brag about having the most expensive or customized to your DNA, you're talking about a whole different group of small shops that you've probably never heard of.

broke-again124 01-23-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA

There are production guns, like Ruger, Springfield, Remington, Sig, etc.

Then there are the custom and semi-custom guns. From here in my neighborhood, Les Baer immediately comes to my mind.

The production guns will all serve you well and are of very good quality. But if you want to brag about having the most expensive or customized to your DNA, you're talking about a whole different group of small shops that you've probably never heard of.

Well I'm wanting a production gun, I just don't know who makes the highest quality production 1911 for the money. I'm aware of customs such as Ed brown, les Baer, Wilson combat, nighthawk, etc. I don't really wanna spend that kind of money on one. I treat my guns like they were intended to be treated. I baby nothing. Except a few family heirlooms. So I don't wanna have to worry about ruining such a masterpiece with scratches, dust, dirt etc. any suggestions now that you know what I'm looking for??