Ruger 22/45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Ruger 22/45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 22/45

Hello all. This question may be in the incorrect area but since it "sort of" relates to 1911 pistols I figured I would post it here.

On the Ruger website it states that the 22/45 .22lr rim fire MKIII pistol is similar to a 1911 in feel and ergonomic design. I was just wondering if any 1911 owners have used one of these pistols and can either confirm/deny this statement.

Thanks in advance.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #2

I have a suppressed version built by MArk Serbu and I would say ergonomically it is similiar to a 1911 feel. It's a great gun and I've had no issues!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #3

Cool, thanks for the info!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I wouldn't say it's a 1911 clone, that's for sure.

While the grip may replicate the angle of a 1911 grip, the Ruger has always been notorious for little idiosyncrasies like having the mag release on the bottom of the handle and having more of a button slide release instead of a more traditional lever.

The Mark III also doesn't have the same type of trigger as a 1911. It has more of a traditional pistol "rocker style" trigger, where on the 1911 it's more of linear travel, so how much 1911 style training are you really looking for?

The price isn't bad, and I had a Ruger pistol for years when I was a kid that never missed a beat, but if you are looking for cheap 1911 style training, I would recommend against it honestly.

Any 1911 can get a conversion barrel & slide, along with a mag, to shoot .22 cal - which would be much better if simulation training is what you are truly after...

JD

Old 09-09-2008, 03:04 AM   #5

Another option might be a High Standard HD Military. The pistol was used by the military as a 1911 trainer for certain applications. I have one that was threaded for a can and it is by far my best .22. It is a solid chunk of steel and quite frankly they don't build guns like that anymore. You can find them on gunbroker from $300-$500 range depending on condition and you should be able to get a 95-98 percent one for about $425.00. I've shot a lot of .22's but that gun is my favorite hands down!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #6

Thanks a lot for the great info J.D.!

As far as 1911 training goes, that wasn't really the idea behind my original question. It was more just out of curiosity regarding Rugers claims. I have shot the MKII version of a 22/45 and I really liked it a lot. Fun to shoot and easy to use. I was just thinking that if Ruger was correct in their claims then I would have a rough idea of how an actual 1911 pistol feels.

I enjoy the pistol and my local guy just got one in.....looks like I need to start saving for my first pistol. I have also been drooling over a Heritage rough rider (I know...I know...but revolvers are super cool and expensive) and a Hi-point 9mm (once again I know but I want a 9mm so bad I can taste it and a new one is just over $150.00. Perfect for my VERY limited budget)

Anyway I was reading another thread that mentioned that there are 9mm 1911 pistols available. Apparently the cost was rather prohibitive to a person of my financial means.
One of those would be super cool to own though....

Thanks again J.D.