Which Round For My 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Which Round For My 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which Round For My 1911

I just got my new Kimber 1911, and I am considering which round to put in it for carry.

Federal Hydrashock

Corbon

Hornaday PXT +P

I have been told that firing Corbon through my gun is not good for it. I wouldn't fire much through it though, just enough to get a feel for the round though, then it would only be for carry.

‘‘You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.’’ — Charles A. Beard

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #2

I am partial to the hydrashock. Work well, and do not over penetrate.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litzner View Post
I just got my new Kimber 1911, and I am considering which round to put in it for carry.

... I wouldn't fire much through it though, just enough to get a feel for the round though, then it would only be for carry.
Thats a non starter, need to shoot a good bit with whatever you decide to carry. Not a huge amount (FMJ for practice) but need to make sure it functions, make sure you know the point of impact for the service rounds, are aware of the change in recoil, and also build your confidence in what you are carrying. The last thing you want going through your head is "man, I had a malfunction with the hollow points before, I hope they work this time". FWIW

Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your Kimber will handle +P ammo fine as long as you are not shooting it all the time. You do want to practice with it regularly if you are going to carry with it but as long as you keep it to only what is necessary- maybe 100 rounds a month of +P or whatever you should be fine. Call Kimber to verify if you want to set your mind at absolute ease.

edit: hillbilly beat me to the punch...

Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litzner View Post

Federal Hydrashock

Corbon

Hornaday PXT +P

I have been told that firing Corbon through my gun is not good for it. I wouldn't fire much through it though, just enough to get a feel for the round though, then it would only be for carry.
I believe the Kimber is rated for +P ammo, but I believe they also recommend upgrading to the stronger 16# or 18# recoil spring ( I can't remember the actual weight )

JD

Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #6

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Corbon Pow'RBall +P
It will penetrate windshields and doesn't expand much with auto side glass.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I alternate between 230 gr. ball and 230 gr. Hydrashock.

The ball will take down a bad guy and if he doesn't stay down, you've got the heavy Hydrashock as a follow up. The difference in feel between the two rounds is almost non-existent. The Hydrashocks fed through my Compact II just as well as ball did.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I keep MY .45s loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT +P 230 gr hollow points. I SERIOUSLY doubt they'll ever let me down although I've been blessed to never actually have to use them on a human yet. I HAVE conducted reliability/expansion/penetration tests in all my .45s loaded with them, and they look VERY promising. If I couldn't get these, my next choice would be Gold Dot 230 gr +P.