Rock River Arms 1911 Custom Pistols
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Rock River Arms 1911 Custom Pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3465 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1742

Default Rock River Arms 1911 Custom Pistols

I was glad to hear that Rock River Arms Inc. Is bringing back their Original 1911 line of custom all steel pistols.
A few years ago they stopped producing them due to the labor intensity of producing each one. They are some of the finest 1911 Model pistols made today. I was disappointed when they stopped making them because they have Zero Mim parts in them and are hand lapped and fitted by hand as well as hand checkered straps and all quality parts. Then taken to the Range and tuned in. How good are they? Well the company use to make competition pistols for Doug Koenig until he landed the big corporate deals with people like S&W. I have what use to be known as the Elite Commando 4.5 Inch Barrel Model. Until Colt started crying about using the word Elite! So it was then called the Pro Carry! The 4.5 Inch 1911 45 ACP Cal pistol will shoot a 1" group at 50 yards out of a Ransom Rest. It was in the 2003 Shooting Times Magazine before I got it. Was a beautiful Blue but I had RRA Black T the pistol for me and they customized a Colt Light Weight Commander for me as well. Anyway, glad to see them coming back this year. One fine high quality pistol and the slides glide like they are on glass. They do make a polymer 1911 but give me the good old style 1911 customs!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 02-22-2015 at 11:10 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6734 Times on 3583 Posts
Likes Given: 504

But the question is, are these new rra 1911 made the same way as the old ones...??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #3

Liked 3232 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 559

I had to take a look after reading the OP. At their price point they are right up against some serious competition. Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Les Baer, and other distinguished brands. No small matter. I wish them luck.
My only criticism is that their idea of a carry 1911 and mine differ greatly. A full sized steel 1911 doesn't really scream "carry" to me, opinions vary of course.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JON,

They will be made exactly like the previous custom pistols. The armorers that built the previous models are still at Rock River and have been moved back to the pistol area of the plant.
OVERKILL They are of the same good quality as the ones you mentioned. After all Chuck and Mark worked for Les Baer and helped him get his business started since they agreed to work for him for X amount of time and kept their agreement. But went back to making their own custom pistols at the completion of period as they had been doing previously. Les and the boys all came from Springfield in the beginning. So I would have to say that the Ed Brown, Les Baer and the Rock River Custom pistols are of the same quality. Couldn't go wrong with either of them. When a 1911 45 ACP can group like they do the proof is in the pudding. And from the past when they shut the pistol shop down. Delivery waiting time was running around 4 months at the time. But the quality of the new ones will be equal to the great quality of the previous customs.
Since Mark Larson passed away as President 2 years ago. Chuck Larson VP at the time now is President and owns the company. He was the originator of the Custom Pistol Shop in the beginning and is one H of a 1911 builder and armorer himself. He once again is responsible for starting the custom pistol program back up again. That is his passion!
Glad to see it happen! A good custom 1911 Pistol is a work of art!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 02-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #5
That looks like it hurt
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
JON,

They will be made exactly like the previous custom pistols. The armorers that built the previous models are still at Rock River and have been moved back to the pistol area of the plant.
OVERKILL They are of the same good quality as the ones you mentioned. After all Chuck and Mark worked for Les Baer and helped him get his business started since they agreed to work for him for X amount of time and kept their agreement. But went back to making their own custom pistols at the completion of period as they had been doing previously. Les and the boys all came from Springfield in the beginning. So I would have to say that the Ed Brown, Les Baer and the Rock River Custom pistols are of the same quality. Couldn't go wrong with either of them. When a 1911 45 ACP can group like they do the proof is in the pudding. And from the past when they shut the pistol shop down. Delivery waiting time was running around 4 months at the time. But the quality of the new ones will be equal to the great quality of the previous customs.
Since Mark Larson passed away as President 2 years ago. Chuck Larson VP at the time now is President and owns the company. He was the originator of the Custom Pistol Shop in the beginning and is one H of a 1911 builder and armorer himself. He once again is responsible for starting the custom pistol program back up again. That is his passion!
Glad to see it happen! A good custom 1911 Pistol is a work of art!
I just got the RRA 2015 catalog andcall,of the Custom 1911's have multiple Ed Brown, Les Baer and RRA parts identified .....

Old 02-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JCS,

Yes they all use high quality parts in all their 1911s. I know my Custom Elite Commando has some Brown parts and also a Kart Barrel in it. Sold on the barrel since it shoots those more than fantastic groups. And like I said, the slide works glass smooth. I have known Mark and Chuck for years. About 12 years ago Chuck also customized my 1911 Lightweight Colt Commander. I had bought it from a guy and the gun had been worked on by Jack the Hack and would not feed and turned out to be unsafe to shoot due to the work on the feed ramp. Chuck saw it and advised do not be shooting that gun it is unsafe. So he took it and customized the gun. It also has a Kart Barrel and some Brown parts as many manufacturers utilize other parts from those in the industry. The Colt is my carry pistol when I do not have light summer clothing on. Love those 1911s. Here is a picture of them.
The Rock River Arms Custom Elite Commando (Later now as the Pro Carry) in the upper right and the customized Colt in the lower left.

File Type: jpg Colt Custom & Rock River Arms.jpg (29.3 KB, 32 views)

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 02-23-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
That looks like it hurt
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
JCS,

Yes they all use high quality parts in all their 1911s. I know my Custom Elite Commando has some Brown parts and also a Kart Barrel in it. Sold on the barrel since it shoots those more than fantastic groups. And like I said, the slide works glass smooth. I have known Mark and Chuck for years. About 12 years ago Chuck also customized my 1911 Lightweight Colt Commander. I had bought it from a guy and the gun had been worked on by Jack the Hack and would not feed and turned out to be unsafe to shoot due to the work on the feed ramp. Chuck saw it and advised do not be shooting that gun it is unsafe. So he took it and customized the gun. It also has a Kart Barrel and some Brown parts as many manufacturers utilize other parts from those in the industry. The Colt is my carry pistol when I do not have light summer clothing on. Love those 1911s. Here is a picture of them.
The Rock River Arms Custom Elite Commando (Later now as the Pro Carry) in the upper right and the customized Colt in the lower left.

Very nice 03... I have two 1911's in my carry rotation and just don't have any other guns that give you the kind of confidence shooting that a well tuned 1911 can......