Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > rock island armory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I was at a gun shop talking with a bunch of old guys a couple days ago. One of them said his brother worked for Houston Police Dept at their range. He told me this guy had a Rock Island 1911 that he wanted to "see how much neglect it could take (I don't know why, but I'll get he bought it with taxpayer money!) Allegedly he had put 10,000 rounds through the pistol without even cleaning it one time, and it was still working.

But then, you know old guys...but even if the story is half true, it's still impressive.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #12

I gave my dad my SA1911 loaded, my trophy gun that never once jammed even after over 6 thousand rounds. Hard to believe I know..I handed it to him and helped him pass his firearm exam. I'm thinking ofgetting a ria too now

Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
ET1

My wife wanted a 9mm 1911 & narrowed it down to an RIA and a Taurus PT1911. She chose the Taurus & left the RIA for someone else. If my wife passed on it, then it must be good. She can pick the line at Wal-Mart that will stop dead before the flag goes up at the register every time. Out of 12 toaster ovens on the shelf, she picked the one that didn't work without even opening the box. Somehow she paid $6.99 for an empty bottle of shampoo. She found a set of knives that never had the factory blade cut onto them, but they looked nice in the package! These are true stories. Buy the RIA quick.

Last edited by ET1; 11-07-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #14

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1
My wife wanted a 9mm 1911 & narrowed it down to an RIA and a Taurus PT1911. She chose the Taurus & left the RIA for someone else. If my wife passed on it, then it must be good. She can pick the line at Wal-Mart that will stop dead before the flag goes up at the register every time. Out of 12 toaster ovens on the shelf, she picked the one that didn't work without even opening the box. Somehow she paid $6.99 for an empty bottle of shampoo. She found a set of knives that never had the factory blade cut onto them, but they looked nice in the package! These are true stories. Buy the RIA quick.
LOL, any empty bottle of shampoo...i love it

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #15

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1 View Post
I think I married your wifes sister

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #16

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I think I married your wifes sister
I must have married the other sister or a cousin.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #17

Default Rock Island Armory

I just recently (10/28/2011) purchased a Rock Island Armory 1911 CS A1(Compact) from Sarco Inc. I was a little nervous at first, but after reading fantastic reviews, I decided to go ahead and pick one up. I was looking for a compact 1911 that was reliable, yet inexpensive. I have friends who are all about brand names, and I am not so much. I wasn't looking for a bunch of extras, like a light rail, etc. I am thoroughly impressed by the overall feel, look, and most importantly, the performance of this pistol. After putting 500 rounds of 230 gr. Federal "hardball" through it, and 100 rounds of federal 230 grain hydra shocks , and didn't have a single malfunction, it was decided this weapon would be my new carry piece. A few years ago I had a Kimber, and strongly believe the RIA is on par with the Kimber, just without all the frills i don't need. Price was well worth it, at $400.00 Accuracy was fantastic. The guys at Sarco Inc., in Easton, Pa were very knowledgeable and great to work with. At first, I did not like the stock wood grips that much, but actually have grown to like them. I have felt the same gun with Hogue wrap around grips and love it, so I may just decide to put them on in the near distant future. If your like me and just want a reliable, basic carry 1911, you wouldn't be making a big mistake picking one up. I am debating whether or not to buy a full size A1, or build one of Sarco Inc. kits. Im buying a house soon so as soon as my shop is ready to go, i will be building it. I knkow its a lot of work, but I have built several firearms from kits before, and want to do a 1911 Government.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:14 AM   #18

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1 View Post
classic haha

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 11-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #19

A friend of mine has an Armscor 1911(shipped there in the US as RIA), he said its shooting well and he has no problems with it since he bought it some years back. If you like to beautify it, it has lots of room to do with it but its shooting well as it is.... :-)

cgdeleon from the Philippines
I live a town away from the Armscor Factory... :-) and will be there tomorrow to shoot at their range..:-)

Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought my first RIA GI. pistol in Jan. 2007 it functioned okay, a few glitches at first, then one day at the range the hammer started to follow the slide, when I got home I tore it down and found that one leg on the sear was broken, I called RIA to see what to do, they said send it in, (life time warranty) I sent it in with a note, a few days later they called me to say, they were going to work on my pistol, later that same day they called again to tell me the gun was ready. while I had them on the phone i asked about a skeltonized hammer, he said no problem, when I got the pistol back they had installed a new skeltonized hammer no charge, also sent me a new Mag. and a new pair of grips, to cover the shipping cost. you talk about Customer Service, man that's it. I now own four RIA pistols, thats the only one I had trouble with...