Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   rock island armory (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/rock-island-armory-51050/)

1911newbee 11-02-2011 04:07 PM

rock island armory

hey guy's.long story short,had to sell my springer to cover a family emergency.so now im back in the market.ben eye ballin a r.a. 1911.aren't they made by arscor?i have held it and fondled it a bit.feels great!it fits in to my budget really well.any feedback would be apreciated.thanks

Olympus 11-02-2011 04:27 PM

Yes, the RIA 1911s are made by Armscor. I've never been crazy about them. I had a bad experience with a compact model in the past. About the only budget 1911 that I can't complain about is my stainless Taurus 1911. Best $600 I've ever spent.

MrWray 11-02-2011 04:45 PM

I have a High Standard 1911A1 which is also made by Armscor..its been a very reliable 1911,i have 1k rounds through it and 0 malfunctions. I am very happy with it.. If thats what your budget allows at the moment then i say go for it..i would love a nice colt myself but my HS is just fine. The RIA is also mil-spec, so it will accept other aftermarket 1911 parts

kystang90 11-02-2011 05:56 PM

I own the RIA 1911A1 and it is worth every penny and more of the $399 I paid for it. Runs fine with kimber and Chip mags. I'd buy another one tomorrow!

danf_fl 11-02-2011 06:51 PM

Some are happy with the RIA, some are not.

IMO, If that is the best you can afford, then go for it.
Otherwise, save a little more and purchase better quality.

Olympus 11-02-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Some are happy with the RIA, some are not.

IMO, If that is the best you can afford, then go for it.
Otherwise, save a little more and purchase better quality.

Well said.

Chainfire 11-02-2011 08:18 PM

For me, the acid test for a firearm is function.

I do not own one but shoot with some folks that do, and they all love them.

Fit and finish are nice, but, personally, I don't pay extra for it. For me a gun is a tool, as long as it works, that is good with me. I would rather have a Rock Island that works all of the time than a pretty Kimber with function problems any day.

MrWray 11-02-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire
For me, the acid test for a firearm is function.

I do not own one but shoot with some folks that do, and they all love them.

Fit and finish are nice, but, personally, I don't pay extra for it. For me a gun is a tool, as long as it works, that is good with me. I would rather have a Rock Island that works all of the time than a pretty Kimber with function problems any day.

Exactly my point too.. I would LOVE to have a nice Colt govt 1911 but my budget wont allow it right now. The money that i saved by buying my HS 1911 helped me buy my son more school clothes and put gas in my car

dragunovsks 11-02-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911newbee
hey guy's.long story short,had to sell my springer to cover a family emergency.so now im back in the market.ben eye ballin a r.a. 1911.aren't they made by arscor?i have held it and fondled it a bit.feels great!it fits in to my budget really well.any feedback would be apreciated.thanks

Do it man, they are great. Its the best 300 i ever spent. I was offered 350 for it by a cop in my hometown and had to pass up the offer cause i love it. It shoots everytime i squeeze the trigger no matter what ammo i use and i can use cheap 7 round GI mags that cost about 8 bucks at machine gun shows.

HOSSFLY 11-03-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911newbee (Post 617702)

Buy one-
I've had four & 3 were great :D