rock island armory 45 1911a1 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > rock island armory 45 1911a1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #42

It is done:

Only the frame, slide and barrel are original, and the slide is fitted to the frame, lapped together.

I have been able to achieve 1.5" groups at 25yds with Gold Dot 230gn, and 2" groups at the same distance with my cast truncated cone 230gn.

All while being ultra reliable.

Josh

Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #43

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

I am thinking about buying a RIA 1911. I need one that is going to shoot around 1.5-2.0 inches at 25-30 yards with good ammo. I know this sounds stupid, but I want to deer hunt with a .45 this year. Bow hunting is my favorite, but its getting old because I bought the best equipment and now take deer at 60+ yards. So I thought I would try using a good pistol this year, the 1911 is the only choice.

So what model would you all purchase if you were wanting a RIA .45 for hunting deer at 30 yards or so? Thanks for the hel in advance everyone.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I am thinking about buying a RIA 1911. I need one that is going to shoot around 1.5-2.0 inches at 25-30 yards with good ammo. I know this sounds stupid, but I want to deer hunt with a .45 this year. Bow hunting is my favorite, but its getting old because I bought the best equipment and now take deer at 60+ yards. So I thought I would try using a good pistol this year, the 1911 is the only choice.

So what model would you all purchase if you were wanting a RIA .45 for hunting deer at 30 yards or so? Thanks for the hel in advance everyone.
6" barrel if they make one. Port the barrel and double tap that Buck lol!

R you going to shoot without a scope?

I just watched a recorded episode of this gun show and they had a 44 ACP revolver with a p rail and scope rail for a ~5.5" barrel and it was ported at the end too I think. Pretty wicked tactical/hunting revolver.

Handgun Hunting

Old 07-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #45

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

No, I want to use iron sights, I need one with adjustable rear sights for windage and elevation. I am still wondering what kind of ammo to use once I get the firearm too.

I used to watch a hunting show many year ago where the host only used Glock handguns to hunt game of all sizes. I know that he used 9mm-45ACP for deer. He used 10mm for elk and black bear. I just want a new challenge in the woods. Plus, if I get a firearm that I feel comfy enough with to hunt with, it will be excellent for personal protection (in theory).

I was thinking about the Tactical model that RIA has. Maybe have a gunsmith do some modifications to make it a bit more accurate if I don't feel comfy with taking it to the woods.

Any advise anyone?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
No, I want to use iron sights, I need one with adjustable rear sights for windage and elevation. I am still wondering what kind of ammo to use once I get the firearm too.

I used to watch a hunting show many year ago where the host only used Glock handguns to hunt game of all sizes. I know that he used 9mm-45ACP for deer. He used 10mm for elk and black bear. I just want a new challenge in the woods. Plus, if I get a firearm that I feel comfy enough with to hunt with, it will be excellent for personal protection (in theory).

I was thinking about the Tactical model that RIA has. Maybe have a gunsmith do some modifications to make it a bit more accurate if I don't feel comfy with taking it to the woods.

Any advise anyone?

Mine on cast. It does slightly better with Gold Dot. I've tightened and lapped the rails and it unlocks just a bit later now.

I have not yet installed a fitted bushing, and I expect to get maybe just a bit more accuracy out of doing that. It's cheap and easy to do, so why not.

I'd find a good quality BONDED bullet in 230 to 240gn (Gold Dot or XTP come to mind) and drive it at around 900fps.

Josh

Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #47

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The RIA's I had both didn't seem to like Cor-Con HP ammo but did fine with a few others. I bought the first one as a truck gun. I was pleasantly surprised with how it worked. Outside of polishing the feed ramp and changing the grips to a nice set of wood I only fed it. In fact the poor thing wasn't cleaned but maybe once a month. And it always worked fine. Except for the problems with the Cor-Bon ammo.

you'll hear a bunch of crap about any 1911 that sells under 500.00 from those that just do not think any weapon costing less has to be crap. No it wont be a target weapon grouping at 50 yards but you are not paying for that. With the RIA you are looking for a solid pistol to take care of you if need be. And punching papoer is not too hard for them. you're just not going to get those Nighthawk groups with them is all. But you'll still have a right fine weapon.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson