rock island armory 45 1911a1 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

rock island armory 45 1911a1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by epwrangler View Post
A few questions please....first though I really love the wittness hole idea and plan to do it to my GI RIA. Now how much did you take off of the regular hammer? I haven't yet been bitten but the sharp line on the grip safety caused a small cut that bled. I assume I can radius the edge some and make that not happen again. What did you use to reblacken the edges and hammer after alteration? I am thinking about the Hogue wraparound grips and a longer adjustable trigger. I find the short trigger too short to make me happy.
I didn't take any off of the regular hammer. It's sitting in my parts bin someplace. The hammer you see is a Commander hammer.

If you've not been bitten by the hammer, don't mess with it as it's fine for you. Some people they get; some they do not. If you must radius it, go slow, shortening it while maintaining all the angles the spur has.

You can indeed radius the grip safety, but take it sloooow - or better yet, buy one at www.e-gunparts.com and radius that one. RIA pistols seem to have worse grip safeties than other brands.

As for rebluing, get some cold blue and follow the directions precisely.

The pistol you're describing sounds a whole lot like the original 1911, as opposed to the 1911a1. Why not just take off the parts that you don't want, put them in a parts bin, and buy what you do want?

Here's an original 1911 long trigger, hammer and thumb safety:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=116978551

They usually have pre-a1 grip safeties on there as well, but I do not currently see one.

You already have a flat MSH (the 1911a1 has a curved MSH).

This is an original 1911 as JMB designed it:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117185868

See how the grip safety blends with the tang? That keeps the thing from sticking out and biting you.

With all that said, I urge you to find a book or two on the subject before making any alterations whatsoever. These parts do NOT just drop in and all need to be fitted.

Find a gunsmith familiar with the 1911 and consult him before attempting any work. The information I provided is for educational purposes only.

These folks may be able to help you out further:

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58

One of the people I was talking with in my last thread over there was Dave Berryhill. Maybe you've heard of him?

I don't want to see any uninformed alterations done to your pistol as it could sour you on the experience, and potentially cost a lot of money. There is a lot of reading material at that site as well - it's an online magazine.

As Matt said, "Tinkering is fine; that's how we learn." An educated tinkerer is a much happier tinkerer than is an uninformed tinkerer!

Best of luck,

Josh <><

Last edited by Joshua M. Smith; 11-28-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ahhhhh... an "I love my RIA" thread!!! I'm all in!

It's a GREAT gun, and I got my GI version more than a few years back for $299. GREAT gun!!! I wish I had bought two at that price...

The only issue I ever had was a bag of crappy reloads that would jam the thing up bad. Other than that, it shoots fine, and accurate.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just got an RIA today. I'm completely stoked about it too (first 1911 I've owned)!!!!!!

So far, my first impressions are very nice. It seems to work fine with other 1911 manufacturer's mags.

I haven't taken it out to the range, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pleased with it.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #24

Just picked up a RIA Compact. Looking forward to shooting it.
rock island armory 45 1911a1 - 1911 Forum

Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had one for awhile about a year ago and in some kind of brain fog decided I needed to get rid of it and buy a Glock.

The Glock is gone now and I'm pricing a new RIA.

Damn good gun for the money...............
"Listen, stupid..... The first week I was in this joint, somebody stole my Red Cross package, my blanket, and my left shoe. Well, since then I've wised up. This ain't no Salvation Army - this is everybody for himself, dog eat dog."

"In Confusion.......There Is Profit"
Lt. Nick Holden USN

Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #26

Default Fedral Ordinance 1911

I am off topic here but I am looking for a little guidance. I have a guy that wants to sell me a Federal Ordinance 1911 military version. I like the gun but am not sure what it is worth. Could you help me or direct me to a site that can help me.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2009, 02:31 AM   #27

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootfirst View Post
I am off topic here but I am looking for a little guidance. I have a guy that wants to sell me a Federal Ordinance 1911 military version. I like the gun but am not sure what it is worth. Could you help me or direct me to a site that can help me.

Thanks
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Good folks both places. You'll see me there as well.

Josh <><

Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #28

OK, I'm new here, but I'll jump on the RIA bandwagon. Got my first (hopefully not my last) RIA CS model and I love it. Looks great, shoots 100% of everything I have put through it, and is small enough for ccw, and won't break the bank or the credit card
therock.jpg

Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #29

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
OK, I'm new here, but I'll jump on the RIA bandwagon. Got my first (hopefully not my last) RIA CS model and I love it. Looks great, shoots 100% of everything I have put through it, and is small enough for ccw, and won't break the bank or the credit card
Welcome to the forum Dadoo.

Nice Rock! rock island armory 45 1911a1 - 1911 Forum

I've got only one question, You got a working credit card?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #30

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum Dadoo - Nice looking 1911 you got there. Where's the range report and test targets for us to drool over??

JD