rock island armory 1911 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

rock island armory 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
Shannon,

As a proud RIA compact owner I'm really sorry you've had such problems. Did you contact these people:
Welcome to Advanced Tactical Firearms
You can email Ivan directly or call them and let them know. They are good folks and want their customers satisfied. Good luck.
No response from them either.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I am sorry to hear this shannon - It truly seems like you have gotten a lemon and no one is willing to stand behind the product.

Please keep us posted!

JD

Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #23

Shannon I am truely sorry for your problem with your Rock Island.

No disrespect intended but, Why did you take your Rock to a gunsmith, it has a lifetime no questions asked warrenty. They have historically even honored the warrenty on pistols that were purchased used.

I am not affiliated with Rock Island or Armscor, but I would like to make some corrections to previous post.

1. The Rocks have some MIM parts and they can fail just like any part including those made of bar stock.
2. The owners manuel "Reccomends" 230 gr FMJ ammo. Not "ONLY Guarentees" funtion with it. ( I shhot 185 gr Copper HP through mine.
3. The metal used in Rock frame is Chrome Moly, Which is a stronger metal than the original Colts were made of.
4. Act/mag Novak mags are the "Recommended" mag, Not the "Only" that Guarentees funtion (I use, Kimber, Promag, And Novak's)
5. Advanced Tactical is the US importer for Rock Island. They are also the Warrenty center for them.

I have a number of Rock, Colts, Kimbers. I have had 2 issues in the past which were resolved by Ivan and Arnel at Advanced Tactical. Average turnaround was 10 days. Ivan is busy and shoots IDPA so he at times is difficult to Contact. With the recent SHOT show he was out of the office for 3weeks. He is the person you need to contact. His # 1-775-537-1444 He is not in the office on Friday.

Last edited by doctruptwn; 02-04-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

should have gotten a tactical RIA 1911 for $50 more

sorry to hear about your problem and i'm gonna sound like a broken record but send it back and they'll take care of you
dont know how good and fast their service is though...
best of luck keep us posted

Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #25

Picked up my RIA this past Monday. Just a few things I noticed...

1. There is nothing wrong with the magazine that came with mine. It clearly has Novak embossed on the side.

2. Mine also had a pamphlet explaining that Advanced Tactical was the importer, and handled all warranty work. That would have been my first move if I had a problem.

3. The rails, barrel, etc. were dry on mine out of the box. Did you break it down, clean and lube it before shooting? I don't know that this had anything to do with your problem, but you never mentioned disassembly until after taking it out for the first time. FWIW, I never shoot anything straight out of the box.

4. Yep, it says 230 grain is recommended, not required. Then again, I would expect most all 1911 manufacturers would tell you 230 grain full metal jacket would be the most dependable ammo through their gun.

Hope you get things straightened out. There is nothing more annoying than a gun that won't function. I've had some lemons too!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you send the warranty card in? did you clean and lube the pistol before shooting?I know you said you used factory 230 fmj bullets, did any of the last ones shot make a different sound,or did you get someones reloaded case buy mistake?over charged cases on reloads can cause ejector breakage. I have three R.I.A.pistols 2 GI and 1 compact I had to tune the extractor on the compact, a sear was bad on one of the GI's sent it back to Ivan to fix had it back in 10 days test fired, With a new mag., combat hammer, and grip saftey no charge. don't let anyone tell you that they don't take care of their customers. if it can't be fixed he will replace the pistol. Call Ivan Walcott at this #1-775-537-1444. Go to the m 1911.org site, read more there.let us know how you come out after you talk with Ivan.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #27

Yes, I did break the gun down and lube it before I shot it. I am glad you people got satisfactory customer service from this manufacturer. I did not, I tried for 2 weeks to get somebody to contact me to let me know what to do. I don`t have time for this company to get the kinks worked out of their service department. I took my gun to a lisenced , competent, gunsmith who has been in business for over 30 years. '' he specializes in 1911`s'' I might have got a lemon RIA, I got lemon service too. My Colts and my Berettas never said '' for __ FMJ only''.. I am not disrespecting you either, nor am I affiliated with Colt or Beretta, but I posted my customer disastisfaction as it happened. ''Ivan did not pull through this time''..The gun is substandard in quality, I found out, but I am tuning it up to be a more dependable and stable RIA since for 2 weeks, I got no help from RIA.

Last edited by shannon; 02-05-2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: editing

Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
... My Colts and my Berettas never said '' for __ FMJ only''...
No disrespect taken just trying to help a fellow 1911'er out. The 1911 was originally and is still designed to operate with 230 gr Round Ball FMJ. If you have a Colt 1911 the Owners manual also Reccomends that load. All of my 1911's that are .45, reccommend that load and I have more than a few. Can't say what the Barretta reccommends as I don't have one, But My father in law's shot 230 gr fine.

I personnally shoot 185 gr Copper Hollow point Taurus Hex bullets when I carry my Rock Compact. It shoots them very well.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:26 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you talked to Ivan what did he tell you about repairing your gun?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #30

Ivan finally contacted me today, he sent me an e - mail telling me to send my RIA to him. My gunsmith already has it. It took him too long to contact me.