Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > rock island armory 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default rock island armory 1911

I purchased a Rock Island Armory 1911 last week at a gun show in Tyler, Texas. For $399.00, I thought it was a good buy after I read all of these forums on them. I bought the 4'' Commander style. After 100 rounds, the slide would not cycle anymore. I took the gun home, and broke it down.The instuctions stated this pistol was meant for {230 grain factory fmj } only. If that would have been written on the box on display, I wouldn`t have purchased this gun ! The ejector was bent, only 100 rounds through the gun ! The factory 8 round magazine did not work with 8 rounds in it, it will with 7. I should have bought the Springfield Armory for $75.00 more. My gunsmith laughed at the week metals in this gun, he tried to punch the pin out to get the ejector out. The pin mushroomed in the setting as he tried to punch it out, the metal was too soft. He ordered a strong ejector and pin from ''Brownell`s''. I am now gonna be $85.00 over the price of the gun.I contacted Armscor on their web-site, no response in 1 week. Spend a little more and get the Springfield Armory.I will take the Rock Island back to the range after my gunsmith gets done with it and let you know how it does.

Last edited by shannon; 01-29-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: grammer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Shannon - That is truly horrible news, I am sorry to hear that. Please do keep us informed of the goings on as we like to let all of our members know who is, and who is not, a good company to deal with.

Best of luck in your repair effort.

Anyone with a RIA seen this 230 FMJ warning before?

JD

EDIT: Shannon, I added a thumbs down to the title to get some more folks in here to read and respond, hopefully with some information for you. JD

Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Right in the manual it states the the RIA 1911 is only guaranteed to work with 230 grain FMJ ammo.

First rule: Always read the manual before using the firearm regardless of how well educated you think you may be on a certain type of firearm.

With that said, it sounds like you got a lemon RIA 1911 and I'm sorry to hear about it. I hope you get it repaired/replaced really soon. I have had no problem with mine, but mine is a full size government model. The RIA does have softer metal than the Springfields and Kimbers out there. That is one of the reasons the cost is down.

I hope the pistol works good for you after you get the gunsmith work done. If not, then get a Springfield or Kimber right away.

EDIT: What rounds did you use with the RIA? Were they factory 230 grain, or did you run reloads/hot rounds?

Old 01-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Right in the manual it states the the RIA 1911 is only guaranteed to work with 230 grain FMJ ammo.
That just really baffles my mind that they are able to move products with that in their own manual.

What good is the damn thing if you plan on reloading to save cost, or God forbid, don't have 230gr. FMJ available in your immediate area??

Yeah, you can reload for .230 grain with a FMJ bullet - but you get my point, there are more accurate loads out there.

I would have to give a big thumbs down to RIA based on that information...

JD

Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
I purchased a Rock Island Armory 1911 last week at a gun show in Tyler, Texas. For $399.00, I thought it was a good buy after I read all of these forums on them. I bought the 4'' Commander style. After 100 rounds, the slide would not cycle anymore. I took the gun home, and broke it down.The instuctions stated this pistol was meant for {230 grain factory fmj } only. If that would have been written on the box on display, I wouldn`t have purchased this gun ! The ejector was bent, only 100 rounds through the gun ! The factory 8 round magazine did not work with 8 rounds in it, it will with 7. I should have bought the Springfield Armory for $75.00 more. My gunsmith laughed at the week metals in this gun, he tried to punch the pin out to get the ejector out. The pin mushroomed in the setting as he tried to punch it out, the metal was too soft. He ordered a strong ejector and pin from ''Brownell`s''. I am now gonna be $85.00 over the price of the gun.I contacted Armscor on their web-site, no response in 1 week. Spend a little more and get the Springfield Armory.I will take the Rock Island back to the range after my gunsmith gets done with it and let you know how it does.
Shannon WELCOME to the forum and let’s hope we can help change this bad experience with some good advice. Is there any way you can photo the RIA warning and post the pic here?

I'm not questioning you; just want the members to see what the mfgs are selling!

We have several RIA owners here and I've never heard of this ridiculous restriction applied to a 1911 design! JM Browning must be rolling over in his grave!

# 1, you should have sent the gun back to RIA or to the dealer you purchased it from at minimum. RIA will just say the gun has been modified now. Sorry, if the work has not been done yet I’d stop and send the gun back as-is!

If not 230 gr FMJ, what were you shooting? The commander should eat most anything short of aggressive hollow points!

Is the receiver (frame) steel or alloy?

My guess is that with a ‘new’ and most likely over-tight extractor in conjunction with an improperly heat-treated (read; cheap) ejector you would wind up with a bent part.

The 8 vs 7 round mag problem doesn’t surprise me. If you keep the gun, do yourself a favor and upgrade to a name-brand (Wilson Combat 47 series) magazine.

“I should have bought the Springfield…” Na, a COLT!

Forget the web site, other than getting their mailing address! Write a letter demanding they replace the gun with a new working unit. That’s what you expected when you laid down your cash. (Was it cash or CC? If on credit card, stop payment and get them involved!) Tell RIA you do not trust this gun and you fear shooting it. Send it certified mail with a received signature card. Record/copy any and all correspondences (including your web site contact) and bills/estimates. Don’t settle for anything short of reimbursements for repairs.

Keep in touch and let us know how you do.

PS: I am not a firearms attorney and do not play one on TV!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #6

The rounds i used was PMC 230grn fmj factory, and Remington UMC 230 grn FMj

Last edited by shannon; 01-29-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #7

I have 2 Springfields and 2 Colts, but wanted a 4'' inch ''more affordable'' 1911 to use for carry..

Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Happen to snap any pictures while the gunsmith was working on it? Would be great to post here and send to them.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
The rounds i used was PMC 230grn fmj factory, and Remington UMC 230 grn FMj
You used what they recommended??

I would have shoved the commander, wishing it was a government just for the extra size, up their ass!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a RIA Tactical model for a short time. It regularly failed to feed and the slide failed to lock open with Les Baer and Kimber mags. Apparently it states in the manual that the pistol is only guaranteed to work with factory supplied mags. They only provide one mag with the pistol. They are Act Mag magazines.

I had absolutely no faith in this pistol and didn't trust it. So I consigned it to the shop. I took a loss, but I was shed of it.

While I understand that every now and then a lemon comes along, I will never buy a RIA product again. I wouldn't trust my life to one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams