Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Rock Island?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Texas Ranger Fan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16806 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43863

most any of my firearms are not for sale, but i am not emotionally attached to many of them that i wouldn't sell if my price was met. i had a guy get upset over the price i quoted on one of my rifles he wanted to buy. i told him in the first place i wasn't really interested in selling, but if i did, the price i quoted was what i wanted, and i wasn't going to budge on price. he made me a counter offer, but i told him that my price was firm or else i wouldn't sell. needless to say, i didn't sell it! didn't really want to sell anyways. why is it people get bent out of shape when you quote them a price when they ask what it would take to buy something, that you really don't want to sell in the first place?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #12

Liked 2325 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
most any of my firearms are not for sale, but i am not emotionally attached to many of them that i wouldn't sell if my price was met. i had a guy get upset over the price i quoted on one of my rifles he wanted to buy. i told him in the first place i wasn't really interested in selling, but if i did, the price i quoted was what i wanted, and i wasn't going to budge on price. he made me a counter offer, but i told him that my price was firm or else i wouldn't sell. needless to say, i didn't sell it! didn't really want to sell anyways. why is it people get bent out of shape when you quote them a price when they ask what it would take to buy something, that you really don't want to sell in the first place?
They have a set figure in their mind, that they believe something should be. Even when it's a stupid lowball offer. Kudos to you.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
Resident Lurker / Retro AR nut

Liked 658 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom86 View Post
I've been thinking about buying a 1911, for no other reason than "just 'cause." there is a 4" Armscor/Rock Island here locally offered for $449. Thoughts?
Agree about the mods, if all you want is a barebones 1911 I hear they are pretty good, if its the G.I. look you're after, may i suggest the Auto Ordnance. Made is America and they are much closer to the old Colts.

AO sometimes gets a bad rap as the old ones are of less than stellar quality, but the company was sold and the new ones get good reviews.

The Springfield GI is also an option, but is made in Brazil.

If you are just after a budget no frills 1911, RIA seems like a good choice to me.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Retired

Liked 2270 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

On a $500 handgun, I would not want to customize too much.

Shoot it for a while. Make a list of any changes that will make the firearm better or more comfortable for you.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the information guys. You talked me into it. Think I'm going to take another look at it today.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #16

Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

You just can't bet a rock island for value, I love mine and have not had 1 single issue with it what so ever. They do however come well preserved so a good full cleaning is needed before loading it up with ammo. In the 45 most if not all the part interchange with colt. Of course the only colt part in mine is the extra mags.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #17

Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts

Buy it & shoot the hell out of it.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just purchased one. RIA tactical, it has the skeletonized trigger and hammer, raised sights, and an ambi safety. Not much I plan on doing to it except maybe some grips but they are easily replaced. I might switch out the full length guide rod because I'm not a fan of them. I'm having the gun shipped so I do not have it yet but I've handled plenty of them and done research so for the money they cost it will be a fun shooter. I dont like all black sight that these guns have but after a little paint on the tip of the sights they will be easier to see. Let us know how you like it if you buy it and shoot it.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #19

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have had a RI basic model (I was too stingy to get the tactical) for several years. It works flawlessly with store bought ammo and so far, with FMJ reloads. I did have a jam problem with reloads using cast lead bullets. Go ahead and get it. I have no regrets about getting mine. Adding the beavertail grip would make it a bit more comfortable to shoot.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #20

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
I have had a RI basic model (I was too stingy to get the tactical) for several years. It works flawlessly with store bought ammo and so far, with FMJ reloads. I did have a jam problem with reloads using cast lead bullets. Go ahead and get it. I have no regrets about getting mine. Adding the beavertail grip would make it a bit more comfortable to shoot.
IMO the tactical is the way to go if you even THINK you'll want to add such things later-- Everything is there- I did add a MSH/Magwell & grips to mine but what else cud one want

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET