Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Rock Island? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/rock-island-63430/)

Tom86 04-28-2012 05:54 AM

Rock Island?

I've been thinking about buying a 1911, for no other reason than "just 'cause." there is a 4" Armscor/Rock Island here locally offered for $449. Thoughts?

smoooth308 04-28-2012 06:04 AM

From everything I've read they are pretty darn good pistols for the money. Quite a few threads on here about them. I'm planning on getting one but after I get a couple other 1911s that are on my list:)

kytowboater 04-28-2012 06:17 AM

I have the officers, very happy with it, never a single issue. There are a bunch of people showing them love.

Axxe55 04-28-2012 07:34 AM

from what i ahve seen from looking at them and from what others have to say, they seem as they would be a good one to buy. personally, i am also looking at buying one myself for a possible custom built 1911.

kytowboater 04-28-2012 07:40 AM

The only downfall IMO, Is the finish. Seems to thin, if that makes any sense. That's an easy fix when/if the finish wears or starts to rust a bit.

Axxe55 04-28-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 784295)
The only downfall IMO, Is the finish. Seems to thin, if that makes any sense. That's an easy fix when/if the finish wears or starts to rust a bit.

this agree with too. it does seem the finish isn't quite as nice as some the other brands of 1911's, but for me, if it functions as well as others say, it's not really an issue that would stop me from buying one. if i did, i would either bead blast it and have a matte black or parkerized finish, or maybe even have it Duracoated in some type of contrasting colors.

DrumJunkie 04-28-2012 08:23 AM

RIA makes some pretty good 1911's. No, they are not top end but you are not paying top end money. Most of the ones I have seen (and owned a couple) needed a little break in timew before they woul dfeed 100%. But in fairness to the pistols the ones I had I used a flay nosed round that I reloaded. With regular ball ammo they do fine and after a hundred or two rounds they fed HP ammo well.The finish is not the best but it does OK if it's treated pretty well.

Bottom line is they shoot straight and are built pretty tough. They are worth what they bring these days. Just don't get all crazy and do a lot of stuff to them liek so many do then when it's time to sell/trade i tit's got all these bells and whistles and has to be priced like a Kimber. No matter what you do to them they are still an RIA. With the after market stuff out there it's pretty easy to get a little crazy. Now if you never intend to sell it then who cares...Go for it. I have a couple guns here that I have put a lot of money in that it might get hard to get it back out. But I really don't want to think about selling them.

kytowboater 04-28-2012 08:40 AM

Agreed about the modifications. I don't sell mine so play away!

DrumJunkie 04-28-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 784319)
Agreed about the modifications. I don't sell mine so play away!

I had a guy try and sell me a RIA a few months ago for 650 because of the mods he made. I'm not going to say you can't get a few bucks more on a reworked gun but I just could not justify the cost for a RIA. I don't sell my 1911's so I've done a few things to them all.

kytowboater 04-28-2012 08:52 AM

That's the thing about custom work, most of the time it's hard to get out what you put in. Or the personal connection, you may have something you feel is worth $1000 and it's still a $700 item, that you would have to modify to fit your likes. IMO just better to buy stock, and go from there. Plus it's just down right fun.