You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

ROCK ISLAND 1911 compact.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2184 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
Somebody bashed Kimber in a Rock Island thread?? Who dared??

I'll have you know I have a Kimber & got no complaints about it!!

Sorry guys, just couldn't help myself!
I confess it was me--
Not really knocking Kimber so much as their piss poor warranty - Whats up with that

Old 02-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #22

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I confess it was me--
Not really knocking Kimber so much as their piss poor warranty - Whats up with that
Don't know Hossfly. Luckily, I haven't had to test it. I hear stories on both sides of the subject. I will say that a lot of those that complained about the service, did so in such a way as to make me believe they got ugly on the phone with them & that'll turn any customer service rep off. Generally, they'll start their complaint with I paid $$$$$ for this piece of crap & it's got so & so....!

Something else I've found out about Kimber from my own experience. Their computer system is antiquated in regard to info about in house orders. If you have an old order with them, they can't find it, even with a P/O number or part number for what you ordered! I had a set of grips ordered through a local gun store & the order got lost in their system. The store finally got in touch with one of their people that manually dug through paperwork, found the order & I had it in less than a week.

Another time though, I entered an order direct & had it within a week! Go figure!

P.S. I've also read reports of them repairing pistols under warranty, long after the 1 year time limit.
I hear this about other manufacturers as well, they just don't advertise the fact.

Last edited by gollygee; 02-04-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #23

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

On the RIA's, how is the recoil? Does it flip up or push back? Just curious.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the Metro Arms American Classic II and love it. It is a tack driver, took less 'break in time' than the Kimber Custom Classic I carried with the SO. The Metro Arms is also a Philippine Island product. I'm looking at their compact version now but it seems a bit pricey at a bit over $500. Still worth the price though I suppose. Fits the hand and feels great. I prefer it to my CZ-RAMI in .40.

For what's more honourable than scarrs, on skin to tatters rent in warrs?
Samuel Butler, HUDIBRAS 1658

When he goughed out me eye, I saw he was no gent. So I ups and broke 'is arm.
15th Centuary wrestler

Why saber?? 'Cause you don't take heads with the point................

Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like my Metro Arms, except for the grips. I like those, BTW. Hmmm, Gun Show here in San Antonio at the Event Center tomorrow. Maybe I should go...if I can get around the flood waters........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
So far so good with the one I bought last month. $425 OTD at a local gunshow.

ROCK ISLAND 1911 compact. - 1911 Forum

200 rds of ball and 40 rds of JHP without any problems. The smooth factory grips had to go, very slippery.

On new 1911's I like to use white lithium on all wear surfaces, seems to help when they are extra tight.

Pretty darn heavy for it's size, probably best though with the caliber used.

Try one! you'll like it

For what's more honourable than scarrs, on skin to tatters rent in warrs?
Samuel Butler, HUDIBRAS 1658

When he goughed out me eye, I saw he was no gent. So I ups and broke 'is arm.
15th Centuary wrestler

Why saber?? 'Cause you don't take heads with the point................

Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #26

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedawg60 View Post
On the RIA's, how is the recoil? Does it flip up or push back? Just curious.
To be sure we are talking about the same thing, their "compact" is the 4" barrel, correct? I ask because I just bought a RIA GI 4" & don't recall them calling it a compact & other manufacturers' "compacts" are 3" or 3-1/2".

Anyway, if it is the 4", it's about the same as my commander size 1911s (4.25") & very little more than my full size. Since it has a steel frame, there's only about 2-3 oz. difference between the 4" & 5". However, that weight loss is out on the end so it does have a little more muzzle flip, but not bad.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #27

I read that HP dont go well with RIA 1911? Is there any truth on that? If I decide to get this, it would be my carry weapon.... Anyone that owns one had any problems with it? and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #28

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I've got maybe 800 rounds through mine and so far so good. I have actually let it go several hundred rounds with out cleaning it, just to see how it performs and not one time (other than one FTF int he first 50 rounds). I am pretty accurate with it and would not hesitate to carry it (if I did not live in Commie land). The only complaint I have is that I paid too much from my LGS, I paid $499 and it seems I could have got it for less had I shopped around, but that is 100% my fault, in fact I am sure they would have price matched if I brought it up.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969
I've got maybe 800 rounds through mine and so far so good. I have actually let it go several hundred rounds with out cleaning it, just to see how it performs and not one time (other than one FTF int he first 50 rounds). I am pretty accurate with it and would not hesitate to carry it (if I did not live in Commie land). The only complaint I have is that I paid too much from my LGS, I paid $499 and it seems I could have got it for less had I shopped around, but that is 100% my fault, in fact I am sure they would have price matched if I brought it up.
Do you carry yours cocked and locked? Cuz I've heard that the safety isn't that good...

Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #30

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdizon0814

Do you carry yours cocked and locked? Cuz I've heard that the safety isn't that good...
Ive never heard of safety problems with the RIA, all of the ones that i have played with have nice crisp smooth safties