Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Rock island 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Like wise. I understand that a person is going to get what they can afford.

My experience has been that if I would have gotten a better quality firearm to begin with, then it probably would not have cost me so much in the long run.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #22

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think the Rocks are just like the Taurus. If you win the purchase lottery and get a good one, you're golden. If not, you suffer with the repair loss of time and $, or the depreciation when sold.

When I see a used Rock or Taurus for sale I turn and run!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #23

Spending more money dosent mean you get a better gun. Revolvers are cheaper typically than autos, and tend to be well built. If you want a kimber buy one I am sure its a quality firearm. But so is a springfeild and it is far less money. But you pay more for name recognition. Don't be fooled just because it costs more dosent make it better. I have a six hundered dollar pile of scrap with a big name on it. The berreta nine mil, I thought it would be a good gun due to its price but berreta dosent have squat for a warrenty. Because they want you to buy a new gun from them.

I would look at the warrenty on the pistol that is going to tell what quality it is.. of course kimbers and paras have life time warrenties but they damn well should for the money they get for their fire arms.

If you are turned off by dollars to quality ratio with rock island, look at springfeild. Only about 100 bucks more, and its the same gun

Old 05-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #24

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
I think the Rocks are just like the Taurus. If you win the purchase lottery and get a good one, you're golden. If not, you suffer with the repair loss of time and $, or the depreciation when sold.
I agree about the lottery part. I guess I did okay with the one I have, but you do see plenty of others who haven't. But at least if you have problems with a Taurus, they will issue a call tag and pay for the shipping both ways. So you're really only out the time. Armscor makes you pay the shipping one way. Doesn't sound like much, buy my experience is that if you get one that has to go back for warranty work once, there will be return trips. That's when the shipping cost starts adding up. And from what I'm hearing from others, the turnaround time at the Armscor warranty center is quite a bit longer.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No matter what u or i decied to get we are taking a chance on it. Does spending more money guarntee me a better weapon? Maybe do i have extra 200 or 300 to spend prolly not. Would i like to own a kimber you bet your azz i would but i defently cant afford one. I know one thing when i buy a weapon is that i ask myself "do i want to bet my life on it" if that answer is no i dont buy it. I will prolly end up saving my money and just wait till i find something that says HEY YOU HAVE TO HAVE ME. Then ill put it on layway and go from there but i wont spend a 1000.00 on a gun. I just cant justify to myself or my family the need to spend that much on a gun. Even to spend 700.00 or 800.00 on a gun seems kind of extream to me. Are there pistols out there that are good pistols that are affordable yes i just have to shop around more. Will i end up getting a Rock Island. Prolly not at this time.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 05-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

So a 13 y/o girl shooting it, didn't help any. How about a 8 year old boy shooting cheap Blazer ammo, 2 mags rapid as an 8 year old can? I am a lucky one. I have bought two RIA any never an issue. Now, If I can only get the PowerBall numbers.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That boy's a shooter... Fearless!... Thanks for posting...

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #28
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Get the ROCK!!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #29

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab View Post
Get the ROCK!!
Guess your speaking of that little round thingie you pay about $20 for & smoke it

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #30
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Rocks rock!

Nothing fancy. Just a good reliable shooter!mina1.jpg

Still can't hit squat over 20yds with my Taurus PT101....