RIA vs. Cimarron - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > RIA vs. Cimarron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Has Zayne (OP) figured out what he wants to do?
I pretty much have my heart on the Cimarron. The Rock is nice.but, as I said, I'd rather have a pre A1 for that mobster/detective noire feel It's not for serious carry, defense, or anything like that. Just a fun gun but certainly no safe queen.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #22

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Hoppes #9 does include amonia. It's not shown on the container, but does show in the MSDS. They make a Hoppes "Elite" which is reportedly safe for nickle finishes. However, I hesitate to use any solvent that is advertised to get rid of copper. My wife has a nickle Bersa .22 & I'm using Gunslick's foaming bore cleaner because I was told by a user that it was safe, but do so with my fingers crossed. I make sure the slide is no where near where I am cleaning the bore & I clean my hands before picking the slide up. The first year of their warranty does cover the finish, so I'm protected for that long & if no problem by then, I'll consider it safe.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1435 Times on 756 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Gollygee beat me to part of my answer! Disassembling the firearm and separating the barrel from the rest of the parts helps. Clean the rest of the gun first and then use copper solvent on the gun away from everything else. Most solvents have a neutralizer you could apply to barrel and hands after cleaning barrel as not to affect finish - a check with solvent manufacturer would be best for this.

I once worked in a machine shop and for many reasons the master machinist said that no coating could ever be as strong as solid metal. Coatings, platings or anything else applied can be removed and that makes them inferior. Care must be taken not to drop or knock weapons that are coated to allow the little imperfections that start the flaking/peeling process.

I understand the desire for alternate finishes, but users need to also know the possible limitations of any tool they use. Modern plating is the best it's ever been, but it can never be as strong as solid metal.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #24

Liked 534 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Three examples of nickel plating using different processes I'm sure. First a Colt Thunderer .41LC, mfg. 1881, 90+% finish. Second a Colt New Service .45LC, mfg. 1923, 95% finish. Third a S&W Model 29 .44 Mag., mfg. 1975, 99.5% finish. Three guns with one being 131 years old and black powder. Two different manufacturers and the newest being 37 years old and the other being 89 years old. This shows me if you take care of them they'll take care of you. Also, I believe stainless is softer and will wear easier and I have stainless as well, which I also like.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You took really good care of those guns. I have an unconditional love of New Services too. Beautiful guns

Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #26

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

There are many different stainless steels with some being more corrosion resistant, but soft & others being harder, but less corrosion resistant. I'm sure the stainless used for a pistol is the harder variety as evidenced that they will get surface rust if not properly cared for, but they still wouldn't match hard chrome for hardness.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #27

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Doesn't Armscor manufacture both the Rock Island Armory and the Cimarron 1911s?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #28

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw
Doesn't Armscor manufacture both the Rock Island Armory and the Cimarron 1911s?
I would assume so. I have a feeling that any guns coming out of the Philippines are getting made in the same factory. No evidence to support that hunch though.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #29

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Did a little more research, for the fun of it. On Cimarron's website, the return and repair page directs 1911 owners to contact Armscor.

http://cimarron-firearms.com/Ret-RepairPolicy.htm

Although Cimarron may have manufacture specs for their guns, it does seem that the issue becomes moot which is the better gun.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #30

Default Ria

I have an RIA polished nickle 1911. I can only say 2 things about it. I love it and I love it.
Cimarron Arms; Just a word of caution for any of you that are considering purchasing any products from Cimarron Arms. I just want to tell you that I purchased a matching set of sixguns that came from this company several years ago, and after many efforts and frustration over the past couple of years, I've given up. I had several issues with these guns, from double stamped serial numbers and mis matched base pin to white pearlite grips that turned yellow in just a few short years. They have not made good on any of it. They won't even contact you to tell you they can't do anything about it. Also, one of the reasons I purchased these guns was sort of as a collectors item. I doubt they are worth half of what I paid for them. Get your products from anyone but them!