RIA vs. Cimarron
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > RIA vs. Cimarron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default RIA vs. Cimarron

I want a nice polished nickel 1911 to out some pearl grips on.
I would rather have it in .45 ACP than .38 Super just so its interchangeable with all the mags and 1911 goodies I have. Just wondering if anyone owns a nickel 1911 from one of these companies. Is one better quality? Stronger nickel? Better reliability?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Nickel use to be the thing to have, but no longer.

Look at a few firearms that were nickeled and check the flaking.

Polished stainless steel would be better.

IMO, reliability between your choices is about the same. It depends on the firearm itself and not the brand.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

might check out MetroArms American Classic 1911's. they have some in a finish called hard chrome, that looks similar to nickel plated.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

RIA has a longer proven track record than Cimarron. I'd rather have a polished stainless than a nickel gun, but that's just my preference.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I'm on this kick too. Metro Arms, RIA, Cimarron, High Standard, they all seem like very good pistols, and all have their place, just IMO not for me. I am stuck on a more regarded brand for some reason, perhaps it's from my years in retail consumer electronics and computer sales and service I suppose. I ALSO want something with a safety on the right side of the slide as well (lefty here!!).

My search led me to either a Ruger or a Springfield; they are both in the range of about $200-$400 more than any of the above mentioned names. I still haven't pulled the trigger yet (why did I even say that?), only because I am so bent on a quality brand that I am waffling on holding off til I CAN afford the model I want, so I am considering just buying my back up carry like an LCP or Tomcat for now for when I am out of state (which I do often enough). My decision has to be made in the next few weeks, as I am in NJ and my permit to purchase expires in that much time.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #6

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Nickle does not flake. I think you are confused by the old cheap chrome plated firearms. OSHA rules concerning nickle plating and factory workers have caused problems in ordering nickle.

It is hard to understand why these old nickle flaking yarns are still around. If that were true your pocket change would fill your pocket with these metal flakes.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
Nickle does not flake. I think you are confused by the old cheap chrome plated firearms. OSHA rules concerning nickle plating and factory workers have caused problems in ordering nickle.

It is hard to understand why these old nickle flaking yarns are still around. If that were true your pocket change would fill your pocket with these metal flakes.
Thanks buddy. That was really reassuring. Made my day!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #8

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:

Tell that to the old nickel Colt Diamondback I used to have. I think it might disagree.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The only difference between the RIA 1911 and the Cimarron 1911 is the Cimarron is a 1911 and the RIA is an A1 model. Personally I'd rather have the pre a1. To me its just more of a quality question.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:

This is not quite true buddy. Copper is part of the nickle bonding and plating process remember. And what do we have solvents designed to do? Eat and remove copper. Will this matter on a brand new firearm? No. But after a few years of honest use, a few scratches, maybe some hairline cracks in the nickle finish and guess what happens when you get your gun cleaner on it... thats right, it gets in there and eats away the copper. Will all of your nickle plating fall off when this happens? No. But it will lift small spots that no longer have copper bonding and will flake.

If you have a safe queen that never gets fired or needs cleaned, you will be fine. If you actually want to fire it, stick with stainless steel or hard chrome if you want that non blued look.

If you have a nickle plated gun and use a copper removing solvent, it will flake. When just depends on how often you use the solvent on it