Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   RIA vs. Cimarron (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/ria-vs-cimarron-72583/)

Zayne 09-17-2012 03:29 AM

RIA vs. Cimarron

I want a nice polished nickel 1911 to out some pearl grips on.
I would rather have it in .45 ACP than .38 Super just so its interchangeable with all the mags and 1911 goodies I have. Just wondering if anyone owns a nickel 1911 from one of these companies. Is one better quality? Stronger nickel? Better reliability?

danf_fl 09-17-2012 10:40 AM

Nickel use to be the thing to have, but no longer.

Look at a few firearms that were nickeled and check the flaking.

Polished stainless steel would be better.

IMO, reliability between your choices is about the same. It depends on the firearm itself and not the brand.

Axxe55 09-17-2012 11:32 AM

might check out MetroArms American Classic 1911's. they have some in a finish called hard chrome, that looks similar to nickel plated.

Olympus 09-17-2012 02:16 PM

RIA has a longer proven track record than Cimarron. I'd rather have a polished stainless than a nickel gun, but that's just my preference.

drvsafe 09-17-2012 02:58 PM

I'm on this kick too. Metro Arms, RIA, Cimarron, High Standard, they all seem like very good pistols, and all have their place, just IMO not for me. I am stuck on a more regarded brand for some reason, perhaps it's from my years in retail consumer electronics and computer sales and service I suppose. I ALSO want something with a safety on the right side of the slide as well (lefty here!!).

My search led me to either a Ruger or a Springfield; they are both in the range of about $200-$400 more than any of the above mentioned names. I still haven't pulled the trigger yet (why did I even say that?), only because I am so bent on a quality brand that I am waffling on holding off til I CAN afford the model I want, so I am considering just buying my back up carry like an LCP or Tomcat for now for when I am out of state (which I do often enough). My decision has to be made in the next few weeks, as I am in NJ and my permit to purchase expires in that much time.

nitestalker 09-17-2012 03:13 PM

Nickle does not flake. I think you are confused by the old cheap chrome plated firearms. OSHA rules concerning nickle plating and factory workers have caused problems in ordering nickle.

It is hard to understand why these old nickle flaking yarns are still around. If that were true your pocket change would fill your pocket with these metal flakes.:rolleyes:

Zayne 09-17-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker
Nickle does not flake. I think you are confused by the old cheap chrome plated firearms. OSHA rules concerning nickle plating and factory workers have caused problems in ordering nickle.

It is hard to understand why these old nickle flaking yarns are still around. If that were true your pocket change would fill your pocket with these metal flakes.:rolleyes:

Thanks buddy. That was really reassuring. Made my day! :)

Olympus 09-17-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Tell that to the old nickel Colt Diamondback I used to have. I think it might disagree.

Zayne 09-17-2012 03:58 PM

The only difference between the RIA 1911 and the Cimarron 1911 is the Cimarron is a 1911 and the RIA is an A1 model. Personally I'd rather have the pre a1. To me its just more of a quality question.

ryguy00 09-17-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

This is not quite true buddy. Copper is part of the nickle bonding and plating process remember. And what do we have solvents designed to do? Eat and remove copper. Will this matter on a brand new firearm? No. But after a few years of honest use, a few scratches, maybe some hairline cracks in the nickle finish and guess what happens when you get your gun cleaner on it... thats right, it gets in there and eats away the copper. Will all of your nickle plating fall off when this happens? No. But it will lift small spots that no longer have copper bonding and will flake.

If you have a safe queen that never gets fired or needs cleaned, you will be fine. If you actually want to fire it, stick with stainless steel or hard chrome if you want that non blued look.

If you have a nickle plated gun and use a copper removing solvent, it will flake. When just depends on how often you use the solvent on it