Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Ria fte

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

SOoooooooo, I was at the range today. Shy through my carry ammo (185 grain Hornady Critical Defense) then 100 rounds of Tula 230 ball.

Even with the Hornady, I was getting a Failure to eject about every 3rd shot. Even with a good firm grip. I even tried limp writing intentionally. Same thing though, some shots with a weak grip it operates fine... ?????

First time this has happened too. Any ideas? Extractor? Recoil spring to stout? It's frustrating.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

It would also do it 5 or 6 times in. Row.

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #3

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

You said "first time this has happened". So, did you put anything different in or on the gun? Try different lube, mags, ammo, etc. Have you tried the same loads in it before with no problems?

Was it failing to fully extract? Failing to pull the case out at all? Failing to eject an extracted round?

Just trying to narrow down the variables.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Nothing new. It failed to completely extract the empty casing. Not chambers new round and forcing the slide back, not far enough to lock the slide back. The case would be halfway in the chamber or seated all the way in the barrel. Grip did not affect the way it shot.

Hoppes solvent G96 clp, Wilson mags. It choked on Hornady ammo and Tula both.

Oh dern....

Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #5

Won't fully eject a spent case a chamber a live round.

Oh dern....

Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #6

I guess I will buy a new recoil spring in a lighter weight tomorrow. Hope that fixes it.

Oh dern....

Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #7

Also, the slide has not been locking back on the last shot.

Oh dern....

Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #8

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

If the slide is failing to travel all the way to the rear, then yes, it could be the recoil spring, but if the gun worked 100 percent with this ammo before I would doubt that the spring is the culprit because they usually don't get stronger with use. Maybe the rails and barrel hood were not lubed well.

Most other issues would have to do with extractor tension.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
If the slide is failing to travel all the way to the rear, then yes, it could be the recoil spring, but if the gun worked 100 percent with this ammo before I would doubt that the spring is the culprit because they usually don't get stronger with use. Maybe the rails and barrel hood were not lubed well.

Most other issues would have to do with extractor tension.
Okay. Maybe I can put some grease on the slide rails, I will look up a way to check the extractor.

Oh dern....

Old 11-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #10

Ill break it down and check for significant rub in areas. Just strange as its not done this before. I've had maybe 3 or 4 like this happen in 1000 rounds. Now boom! Lol damn near every round. If I can't figure it out I can drop it off at the gunsmith.

Oh dern....

Newest Threads