Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > RIA Compact Tactical in 9mm

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,293
Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default RIA Compact Tactical in 9mm

Been thinking about getting one of these for a knock around gun. Anyone have one? I had a Citadel compact in .45 and it was a loser so I'm hesitant to take a gamble on another Armscor gun.

Price at the LGS is $535.

__________________
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,293
Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Looks like I will just have to buy one and do a review I guess.

__________________
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

I absolutely loved my RIA. It was my carry gun for a long time. I don't know a damn thing about this particular gun though. A report would be great.

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.


Last edited by mountainman13; 04-09-2013 at 12:47 PM.
mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,192
Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Can't expect a nice tight custom fit for the price of a ria but it can still be a great shooter. And with any firearm today you could buy a costlier model/brand and still end up with a turd and still have to find what it likes. I am pleased with my 5" tactical as so far but don't expect a bullseye pistol accuracy ether. Change ammo or tune on a mag and try again!!

Try to work on your dealers prices. Some guys work with you , some don't.

__________________
hardluk1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Looks like I will just have to buy one and do a review I guess.
Wondering too- Looked hard at one a couple weeks ago-
Mt full size Tactical has been flawless-
BTW My LGS had a tag of $550 on it-
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,293
Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

I guess it's gonna be a while. I just lost my cool at the LGS and will never be going back there again.

I asked the salesman the cash price for the gun and he wouldn't come down any. Not a big deal as I didn't really expect them to. Then I asked what the price would be for a fellow FFL dealer. And again I was told the same price. I was just joking with them but apparently the guy was aggravated that I asked that.

So I said I would buy it for the $535 price. I have them my little FFL card that comes with the license as proof of my license and so I would not have to go through the background check. They told me that wasn't enough to confirm I really had my FFL. So that irritated me, but I told them they could use their computer and go to the ATF's FFL EZ Check site and run my information for confirmation. The guy said ok, but we will still have to have a copy of my full FFL on file. So now I'm really starting to get irked. But then I remembered that I saved all my FFL and tax documents on a flash drive and it was in my car. Its a small drive that I bought just to back up my FFL documents and that is all that's on there.

So I go out to my car and get the drive and come back in. I tell them that the FFL is on the drive and told them they could save a copy or print one. The guy said absolutely not. He said there was no way he was plugging an unknown flash drive in their computer. I assured him there were only a few PDF documents on there. But he still refused and said he didn't know who I was and didn't trust me. He asked he if I would do that with a stranger to my own personal computer. I asked him if the stores computer was his "personal" computer and he said no. I told him the computer was a business machine and was used for doing BUSINESS! So I lost my cool and called the guy a jerk in a little different language and told him they lost a sale. And I left the store. I probably overreacted, but we live in a small town and not some major city. I walk through the shop several times a month. I don't think I'll ever be going back.

Sorry, rant over.

__________________
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I guess it's gonna be a while. I just lost my cool at the LGS and will never be going back there again.

I asked the salesman the cash price for the gun and he wouldn't come down any. Not a big deal as I didn't really expect them to. Then I asked what the price would be for a fellow FFL dealer. And again I was told the same price. I was just joking with them but apparently the guy was aggravated that I asked that.

So I said I would buy it for the $535 price. I have them my little FFL card that comes with the license as proof of my license and so I would not have to go through the background check. They told me that wasn't enough to confirm I really had my FFL. So that irritated me, but I told them they could use their computer and go to the ATF's FFL EZ Check site and run my information for confirmation. The guy said ok, but we will still have to have a copy of my full FFL on file. So now I'm really starting to get irked. But then I remembered that I saved all my FFL and tax documents on a flash drive and it was in my car. Its a small drive that I bought just to back up my FFL documents and that is all that's on there.

So I go out to my car and get the drive and come back in. I tell them that the FFL is on the drive and told them they could save a copy or print one. The guy said absolutely not. He said there was no way he was plugging an unknown flash drive in their computer. I assured him there were only a few PDF documents on there. But he still refused and said he didn't know who I was and didn't trust me. He asked he if I would do that with a stranger to my own personal computer. I asked him if the stores computer was his "personal" computer and he said no. I told him the computer was a business machine and was used for doing BUSINESS! So I lost my cool and called the guy a jerk in a little different language and told him they lost a sale. And I left the store. I probably overreacted, but we live in a small town and not some major city. I walk through the shop several times a month. I don't think I'll ever be going back.

Sorry, rant over.
I can see both sides of the story. Most places do require a signed copy of the ffl to be on file. I also would likely refuse the thumb drive idea. I would probably be aggravated myself though.
Might I suggest an emailable copy of your ffl saved on your phone? Always worked well for me.
__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,293
Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Just aggravating. They acted liked like I'm a stranger but I'm in the shop several times a month. And there are only two shops in town. And it would be different if I looked shady. But I'm a clean cut guy in a polo shirt and khakis. And they had my name and address from my FFL card. So it's not like they wouldn't have known who was responsible even if they got a virus or something. And it wasn't even the owner of the shop, just some pencil neck salesman.

Oh well. It's done and over with now. I just back ordered one for $100 less from one of my distributors. Might be able to do a review by Christmas.

__________________
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Why didn't ya do that from the get-go?

Watch those blood pressure spikes! We need you around for a long time brother.

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,293
Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Why didn't ya do that from the get-go?

Watch those blood pressure spikes! We need you around for a long time brother.
Thanks Cane. I just didn't want to wait 6 to 8 months for one to come in from back order. I actually placed a second order with a different distributor for another one. Whichever comes in first, I'll cancel the back order for the other one.

I need a compact size so I can start making compact size grips again.
__________________
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Sub-compact/compact CCW Caliber choice KJG67 General Handgun Discussion 11 02-14-2013 07:19 PM
Compact vs Sub-Compact for C.C. (Glock) LibertyGunworks Glock Forum 5 01-19-2013 09:01 PM
Compact, powerful tactical flashlight? who makes one at a reasonable price? fastline Firearm Accessories & Gear 2 02-03-2011 06:49 AM
HUK USP Compact Tactical Caladin Semi-Auto Handguns 1 09-26-2007 12:28 AM