Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   RIA .45 Tactical (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/ria-45-tactical-26620/)

ronnies1965 04-29-2010 08:51 PM

RIA .45 Tactical

Just got a RIA Tactical and I really like it. I am ordering a match barrel for it this week. Deciding between Storm Lake and Bar-Sto. Also having a trigger job, new sights installed and having the gun gone through to clean up machine marks and a little polishing on the feed ramp. Just for asthetics I want to change the safety, trigger, hammer and mag release to stainless.

GeauxTigersGuy 04-29-2010 08:52 PM

Congrats on your new gun! If all goes as planned, this should be my next purchase.

junho806 04-29-2010 08:54 PM

great entry level 1911
:)

canebrake 04-29-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnies1965 (Post 278107)
Just got a RIA Tactical and I really like it. I am ordering a match barrel for it this week. Deciding between Storm Lake and Bar-Sto. Also having a trigger job, new sights installed and having the gun gone through to clean up machine marks and a little polishing on the feed ramp. Just for asthetics I want to change the safety, trigger, hammer and mag release to stainless.

Have you shot it yet?

I wouldn't make a single change to a new gun until I had a minimum of 500 rounds downrange. Even at this point you don't have an intimate relationship.

There are many things you can do to your 1911 to personalize and make it yours. A lot require little to no real smithing skilz. Some CAN NOT be done without expensive tools and years of experience!

BEFORE you undertake a project, ask!

AND TRUST ME ON THIS: If you are planing to do several changes, ONLY do one at a time! Make a list, prioritize it and then learn everything you can about the first change on your list BEFORE you start, or even purchase parts

Ruzai 04-29-2010 09:39 PM

I wouldnt really go with a match-grade barrel until I had more than couple thousand rounds through the gun...
If you're going to spend that much money all in one short interval then why not buy a Rock River Arms instead of a Rock Island Armory? :rolleyes:

Is this your first gun? It sounded like you have previous experience with firearms so maybe you had this in mind for a while, just wondering. :confused:

DrumJunkie 04-29-2010 09:40 PM

And this will makes the cost of the weapon how much?

crockett007 04-29-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 278133)
Have you shot it yet?

I wouldn't make a single change to a new gun until I had a minimum of 500 rounds downrange. Even at this point you don't have an intimate relationship.

There are many things you can do to your 1911 to personalize and make it yours. A lot require little to no real smithing skilz. Some CAN NOT be done without expensive tools and years of experience!

BEFORE you undertake a project, ask!

AND TRUST ME ON THIS: If you are planing to do several changes, ONLY do one at a time! Make a list, prioritize it and then learn everything you can about the first change on your list BEFORE you start, or even purchase parts

+1......Cane is on the mark here.....IMHO

NGIB 04-29-2010 09:54 PM

This is just an observation from a few years being a 1911 junkie:

If you invest $1000 in a $500 Rock Island - you end up with a $500 Rock Island.

If you invest $1500 in a semi-custom - you have a semi-custom that will hold its value. I'd seriously consider keeping the RIA as is, shoot it, learn the platform, then invest in a higher-end 1911...

danf_fl 04-30-2010 12:25 AM

Don't change until you know what needs changing. My SA 1911a1 (now over 20 years old) has the original 2 piece barrel with over 15,000 rounds through it. It still shoots 4 out of 5 into one hole (free hand) at 15 yards (45').

glock2740 04-30-2010 12:35 AM

Congrats and good luck. You might give Kart barrels a look before you buy. I have the RIA Tactical and it's a great gun for the money.