RIA 1911A1 Issues - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > RIA 1911A1 Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I just spoke with Dave at Armscor. he said he fired a magazine through it and it fed just fine. So, he's sending it back. I just don't get it.

So, it gets one more range trip from me. If it still doesn't feed reliably, I'm going to have to sell it at a loss to someone for a project gun or trade it towards something else.

The customer service has been fine, that's not the issue, but I'm just not happy with the unreliability of the pistol.

I also can't afford to replace it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #22

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Don, don't mean to sound silly but if there's any other experienced shooters near you - let them test drive it also...

Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My shooting buddy (former Marine) and mrm14 both shot it and had the same ftf problems.

It isn't me. This is my sixth 1911 and the only problems I've ever had have been with the two Rock Islands. In fact, this one has been worse than the first one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A nice fellow over at one of the 1911 forums PM'd me and suggested that I try Armscor ammunition in the pistol. This was my response:

I've shot WWB, Fiocchi, Sellier & Beliot, Blazer and Blazer Brass through it. I've used Kimber, Chip McCormick, Wilson Combat and Tripp Research Cobra mags. The pistol itself has some form of defect. I just am unwilling to believe that through all of that ammunition, (all 230gr. ball, btw) and all of those mags that either is a factor.

This is my sixth 1911. I've had a Springfield Mil Spec, a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, a Dan Wesson CBOB, and I now have a heavily customized 1927 Argentine Colt. A couple of years ago, I had an RIA Tactical that only fed with Act-Mags and even then was undependable, so I traded it in on a Beretta 8045 Cougar. Now I have the Argentine Colt and this RIA GI.

Both RIA's have been unsatisfactory, but this one is a POS as far as I'm concerned.

I don't bash Rocks, I know it's possible to get a bad pistol from any manufacturer. In fact, the reason I bought this one is because I figured that I had gotten a lemon and, hey it happens. I hear a lot of good things about them, so I decided to take a chance on another RIA. I just wanted a basic, no frills, dependable pistol. I didn't get that.

I've put somewhere between 600-700 rounds through this pistol. I will venture another 100 rounds. If there is one bobble, I am trading it towards a new pistol from another manufacturer. At around $20.+ a box, I'm not willing to invest a whole lot more ammunition in this thing.

As far as trying Armscor ammunition, if it won't feed what I've got. If it won't run with the magazines I have, I won't have it.

BTW, two other people have fired it and had the same FTF problem. So I'm positive it's not operator error. I'm sixty one years old and have been shooting since I was fifteen.

I appreciate your input, but as you can see, this is not just a simple problem. The more I write about it, the angrier I'm getting, so I'll shut up now. It's just frustrating.

Don

I was starting to get really angry the more I wrote about it and was becoming borderline shrill, so I ended the PM. However, it expresses my feelings about this ordeal. I am so over Rock Island pistols.

By my reckoning, I've run at least $250. worth of ammunition through this pistol. I'll give it one last try when I get it back so I can sell it with a clear conscience. And then it's gone, not even a memory.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Great. I was looking at RIA for my 1911 needs, This is the first time I've read anything like this about them.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have done my best not to bash Rock Island pistols. Maybe I'm just snake bit when it comes to them. The chances are that yours will be fine. But I will never own another.

I've committed a mortal sin. However, it couldn't be helped. I have sold off ammunition to raise enough cash to buy a good 1911.

It will be an SA GI or something along those lines. I wish we could get the Remington R1's or the SA Range Officers in freakin' Kalifornia.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #27
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Don, do you have any pics of the chamber area? I would like to see how the barrel sits with slide open. Also include a picture of a loaded magazine inserted (again, with the slide open so we can see how the rounds line up).

PM me your address and I will send you another mag catch.

Or tell me how much you want for the dern thing.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #28

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

hey sorry to hear that my man

i have seen the light

Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was hoping to have a dependable and inexpensive 1911 to carry and have for HD, so I could keep my Sistema put away. This unfortunately, is not to be.

It will be back from Armscor on Monday. After I clean it from the test firing that Dave did, I'm listing it for sale. I'm not going to waste another box of ammunition screwing around with it.