Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Reversed Recoil Spring Stuck In Slide. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/reversed-recoil-spring-stuck-slide-62856/)

omroi2001 04-19-2012 12:59 PM

Reversed Recoil Spring Stuck In Slide.

I was cleaning my Springfield Champion Operator two nights ago and when I put everything back together, I placed the recoil spring in the wrong way. I noticed this when I tried to pull the slide back and lock it in with the slide latch. The slide would not go back that far to lock it in. It went back just far enough for me to take the slide back off to examine it and yep, its the spring. I can't take the guide rod out because it doesn't go all the way back to place the tool to hold the spring back. What can I do. (Yep, an idiot move, on my behalf)

mountainman13 04-19-2012 01:20 PM

Got a pic? Easier to help with a visual.

MrWray 04-19-2012 10:38 PM

I didnt know that you could put the recoil spring in the wrong way?

Ranger-6 04-19-2012 10:56 PM

Find a pothead and ask to borrow his roach clips to pull it out.

omroi2001 04-20-2012 12:59 AM

At this moment, I feel like the pothead for placing the spring in reverse.

mountainman13 04-20-2012 01:06 AM

It happens.

canebrake 04-20-2012 01:43 AM

omroi2001, I'm not ignoring you, I just don't know how to fix your issue. I'm not familiar with your model.

Is it the one with the ramped barrel and that little plastic spacer needed for disassembly?

Sometimes I think design engineers make things far more complicated than they need to be. :(

danf_fl 04-20-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 776315)
Sometimes I think design engineers make things far more complicated than they need to be. :(

Valid assumption from what I've seen.

If the engineers had to work with the stuff they design, then, maybe, the repair sector would have an easier task.

levelcross 04-20-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 776664)
Valid assumption from what I've seen.

If the engineers had to work with the stuff they design, then, maybe, the repair sector would have an easier task.

Amen, I think the engineers try to make stuff complicated to provide job security. Auto-cad is the best/worst thing to come to manufacturing.

Remember NASA spending millions on a pen that will write while in space, Russian astronauts use a pencil.:p

mountainman13 04-20-2012 01:31 PM

In my experience in the field I can tell you that many engineers are over educated idiots with book smarter and no common sense. I hated my job because I spent a good portion of every day fixing the work of some General Electric engineer getting paid $40 an hour to sit at home and screw up the simplest of projects.
Nobody will ever explain to me how the "best engineers in the country" can't draw up a set of stairs for a catwalk well sitting at home. I was fixing their work while designing a machine to work with a $300000 German robot off of prints written in German with metric measurements and running a water-jet. All for $10 an hour. That is why good engineers walk away from the industry.
I'll stick with being my own boss and working on guns thanks.
Don't blame auto-cad. It's a great program. Cad-key on the other hand I hate.