Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Replacement for my (junk) Taurus PT1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDoc View Post
Here's my PT1911 in DuraCoat. All numbers are visible. It's only Illegal to obscure or obliterate them, and DuraCoat done right won't.

The flag gun I did for a customer, it has two colors and a clear coat for three layers of DuraCoat and the engravings are still sharp.
That American flag scheme is freakin' sweet, just outta curiosity, how much would that set someone back? And what's a single color job normally cost?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

DuraCoat is available from Brownells in different colors. The key is preparation. If you can imagine it, you can do it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
That American flag scheme is freakin' sweet, just outta curiosity, how much would that set someone back? And what's a single color job normally cost?
My website (link below) has details, options and a photogallery that I need to update with some really cool stuff I've done in the last six months. Since I'm not a vendor on this board it would be improper to discuss business here, but you can email me to discuss anything you'd like.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:55 AM   #14

Default Pt 1911

Invest is a couple of Cobra Magazines from Virgil Tripp's company you will not be sorry, I think that they are the best mags out there, they will feed any & all type of ammo through your gun with no FTF ,Jams etc. I love mine.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I decided to sell my PT1911 and get a RIA, since I prefer the G.I. look anyway. I didn't get quite what I was asking but my Dad was the buyer so its not a big deal. I went down to Bud's gun shop yesterday to see what they had, wanted a 1911, but they had a couple Beretta 96's on sale for right at $350, had to buy one. So now I fear I'll be 1911-less for awhile, but that Beretta is still a great piece.

beretta-411544842.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
I've actually heard that the Taurus 1911 is a really good gun for the price.
I wouldn't throw it out just yet, the good thing about most 1911's is parts are abundant, interchangeable, and upgradable.
Before you do anything, try using quality mags from reputable companies such as Wilson Combat, or Chip McCormick.
I also recommend going on youtube and watching Nutnfancy's "Gunsmithing the 1911" video... the subject in question is a Taurus being worked on by a gunsmith at Impact Guns.
They lied!
I read a review in the Harris publication 2011 Buyer's guide on the SS PT1911 and the author, Stan Trzoniec, gave it a great write up. He said the fit and finish was very good and I didn't read anything negative in the review, so being impatient and not wanting to wait for the Ruger SR1911 to be available I went ahead and bought this same gun that was reviewed so well.......Big mistake! I figure they sent this guy a very special built PT1911, because mine has been nothing but trouble and I feel like I was violated.
I just bought it a month ago, it has been a complete disgrace to the 1911 model name. The extractor broke after 135 rounds, I have been waiting for them to send me a new one for 2 weeks. The machining and dimension accuracy of this gun is really bad. The breech face was not even square and flat, the frame to slide fit is way loose and rattles like crazy. I had a local gunsmith of 40 years take a look at it and he didn't even want to work on it, he wanted nothing to do with it. I showed him the .080" of gap between the extractor and the breech face and he said to send it back and expect to wait up to 5 months for a return. Taurus told me my warranty was void because I let a gunsmith spec it out...not work on it just check the dimensions and stuff. They said they won't warranty it now. So I have a $679 hunk of SS, it's kinda nice to look at but I will never buy another Taurus.
I get a kick out of some people claiming their Taurus PT1911 has 1500-3000 rounds with no problems...?? Very hard to believe that any 1911 could put out 3000 rounds without a problem, especially the PT1911. I have a feeling that the Stainless Steel model would more likely be bad since it is much harder on machine tooling.
So to ramble on so much in my first post, but I think anyone considering the SS PT1911 should wait for a Ruger SR1911, less $$ for the totally USA made Ruger than the Taurus. I am kicking my self in the @$$ everyday now!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sputnik1988- I like the Beretta 96, it looks like a good face-lift to the 92. Its not hard to find a good GI 1911 on the cheap, especially this year with the flooded market of the 100 year anniversary.

mrwintr- I've had experience with several PT1911s and there is something you have to realize about mass produced 1911s...they're mass produced this means that less attention to detail and less quality control. You cant expect every single gun to get looked over on a personal level. Just because you see one bad apple in the bunch doesnt mean they all are bad.
Its your constitutional right to be negative and display your dislikes but that doesnt make it a good idea for a first post.
There could be several things that could cause the extractor to break, but it'd have to be pretty apparent or some real mis-use to break within the first 200 rounds. As for slide to frame fit, its going to be that way in mass produced guns and can be fixed by a gunsmith (who has the right tools) that isnt a snob about what guns he works on.
The .080" gap, did you show this before or after the extractor broke? If its after it might not have been that way before.
3,000 rounds is not hard for a 1911 to have...I know of many that have had that much. I'm a little over half way there myself on my PT1911. Sure its not a tack driver and shows wear but its still banging away. Mind you, I havent changed anytihng on mine execpt the grips.
I find it surprising that Taurus wont work on your gun, perhaps you got someone having a bad day on the phone. Try again and if they say the same thing, send that hunk of SS to me

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.