Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Replacement for my (junk) Taurus PT1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Default Replacement for my (junk) Taurus PT1911

I have had a PT1911 for about a year and am fairly fed up with it, jamming and overall unreliability have plagued this poor excuse of a classic, I need a better one, I'd like a Colt, but to be honest, it's just the name and the fact that they started it all that sells me. I prefer the classic G.I. look but it's not so practical, I love dark parkerizing or a similar finish. So.. in your opinion, what is the best for the money under $900, No Springfield though, it's a personal issue, not a quality one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

You'll have no problem finding a good 1911, even a Colt for $900 - new or used. I see you're in KY, I don't know how close you are to Stalkingbear but he's a gunsmith and also has a PT1911. Odds are Bear can fix yours up and make it reliable. I've owned 3 Taurus 1911s and they've all been decent guns that come with crappy mags...

Old 04-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1549 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Our Irish man may have hit on the problem. Have you tried different mags?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I've actually heard that the Taurus 1911 is a really good gun for the price.
I wouldn't throw it out just yet, the good thing about most 1911's is parts are abundant, interchangeable, and upgradable.
Before you do anything, try using quality mags from reputable companies such as Wilson Combat, or Chip McCormick.
I also recommend going on youtube and watching Nutnfancy's "Gunsmithing the 1911" video... the subject in question is a Taurus being worked on by a gunsmith at Impact Guns.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Colt Stainless 8 + 1 Round 45 ACP Government w/5" RG $997.00 SHIPS FREE

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Actually, a friend of mine suggested the mags be replaced, from what I see here it sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try, no since wasting what is apparently a good gun. My next question is this: assuming I buy the mags and they turn this thing around, I would like to change the Gray/aluminum frame color, the problem lies in the serial number, they look almost like they are just printed on. A guy who does duracoating told me that they would be covered... apparently frowned upon by Uncle Sam, so, could I have them engraved a little deeper or is this considered "tampering"? I liked the two-tone look for about a week after I bought it, now... well, it sucks.
And Stalking bear, he's from Lebanon, right? Thats a couple hours south, I'm between Louisville and Cincinnati.

taurus-pt-1911-lwt.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Last edited by sputnik1988; 04-14-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

All the Taurii I owned had normal engraved serial numbers so I wouldn't think coating the gun would hurt anything. I almost guarantee you that if you start using quality mags your problems will go away. The mags that come with nearly all 1911s are little better than junk - don't know why that is but it is. If it still runs poorly, that 2 hour road trip to see Bear will be worth your time...

Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #8

Liked 2226 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 2162

I duracoated mine and the numbers look fine.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Actually, a friend of mine suggested the mags be replaced, from what I see here it sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try, no since wasting what is apparently a good gun. My next question is this: assuming I buy the mags and they turn this thing around, I would like to change the Gray/aluminum frame color, the problem lies in the serial number, they look almost like they are just printed on. A guy who does duracoating told me that they would be covered... apparently frowned upon by Uncle Sam, so, could I have them engraved a little deeper or is this considered "tampering"? I liked the two-tone look for about a week after I bought it, now... well, it sucks.
And Stalking bear, he's from Lebanon, right? Thats a couple hours south, I'm between Louisville and Cincinnati.
Report back after you try new mags but it sounds like you still want something else.

I would look into rock island armory as a alternative to the taurus.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here's my PT1911 in DuraCoat. All numbers are visible. It's only Illegal to obscure or obliterate them, and DuraCoat done right won't.

The flag gun I did for a customer, it has two colors and a clear coat for three layers of DuraCoat and the engravings are still sharp.

pt1911.jpg   justin-1911-ftf.jpg