Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Remington R1 vs. Ruger SR1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington R1 vs. Ruger SR1911

This is a tough decision. I've heard great things about both models. Both have their pros and, if you can call them, cons. Personally, there's nothing I don't like! Any suggestions or feedback?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #2

In all of my hours of researching 1911's, weighing and wading through the online internet b.s. to pick out trends and the truth, I have come across but one gripe regarding a SR1911. Believe me I have looked hard for any complaints as I wanted one like real bad, but could not find one at a decent price and moved on.

As far as the Remington goes, they seem to have their fair share of problems and Remington's customer service seems to be a tad, lets say spotty in fixing any problems.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The Ruger 1911 is a pretty new gun (released to production not more than a year ago)....
Not sure that it has been around long enough to hear everything that there is to hear about (good or bad).
I do know that the demand for them is exceeding the supply right now & they are pretty scarce.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
The Ruger 1911 is a pretty new gun (released to production not more than a year ago)....
Not sure that it has been around long enough to hear everything that there is to hear about (good or bad).
I do know that the demand for them is exceeding the supply right now & they are pretty scarce.
Good point & true about availibilty (i still have'nt seen one local)
If both were in front of me i'd take the Ruger (mainly because i haven't seen one yet

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #5

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Yeah me too....
The folks that do have them do seem to love them too. I have just seen one - about a week back at one of the LGS. They had one in. It was cool to look at just because it was the 1st one I'd seen.
I'd pick the Ruger between the two - too!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #6

Liked 856 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 597

Both are nice guns for the money. The Ruger is hard to find and to many people want to much for them. Buy the Remington and shoot the snot out of it. Just take them apart and clean them well before shooting and remember if it slides grease it and oil all else.

USMC 74-78

Old 04-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
ET1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictorious
This is a tough decision. I've heard great things about both models. Both have their pros and, if you can call them, cons. Personally, there's nothing I don't like! Any suggestions or feedback?
I researched each of these when I decided to buy my first 1911. At the time I couldn't find any Rugers even though everyone loved them. I then turned to the Remington & quickly realized that I needed the enhanced version. Well at that price I could get a Springfield Range Officer... which I did. I do know that the Ruger is very highly regarded as you state.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperpuncher View Post
In all of my hours of researching 1911's, weighing and wading through the online internet b.s. to pick out trends and the truth, I have come across but one gripe regarding a SR1911. Believe me I have looked hard for any complaints as I wanted one like real bad, but could not find one at a decent price and moved on.

As far as the Remington goes, they seem to have their fair share of problems and Remington's customer service seems to be a tad, lets say spotty in fixing any problems.
I have the Remington, got one of the first when they came out. It had some "small" issues and they sent a ticket, paid the freight both ways and completely satisfied my concerns in one week! I do not find that "...to be a tad, lets say spotty in fixing any problems." in any way handled other than professionally.

I have run the gun as a range lizard for going on two years. It eats everything I feed it and keeps on going.

Impressions on the Remington 1911 R1

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #9

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Also in the price range is the springfield milspec. I just picked one up about a month and a half ago. Only about 300 rounds through it so far, but no failure of any type. Federal, tulammo, and blazer aluminum cased. Next up, hopefully in just a few days, is some light target ammo a buddy has laying around. Due to personal reasons, I can't really go out and buy ammo at the moment, but this guy has this ammo sitting on a shelf, and no .45 to shoot it through. Going to get some very much needed range and cleaning therapy in the next couple days...

Last edited by trip286; 04-03-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default I have a R1

It's been flawless no problems it eats whatever I feed it I use the Remington mags... well along with all my other mags with no trouble I'm very happy with it.
It is the "Enhanced" version. I shot with a fellow this past weekend who has the Ruger 1911 he said he's had it for 6 months with very few problems he said he's run about a 1,000 rounds of everything through it without a hiccup, although while we were shooting he had 2 failure to lock on a empty mag, he felt like it was a bad magazine.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne