Remington r1 vs ??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Remington r1 vs ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Well that's bullcrap. Tell Chuck Rodgers that his lockup tight no rattle guns won't work when the dust blows a little. Call Joe Chambers and tell him the same thing and he will laugh in your face. Personally I don't mind a little rattle as I just buy guns as an investment and to shoot. But well put together 1911's are so much smoother, accurate and just plan fun to shoot. It's like driving a 65 fast back mustang and a built Shelby. And no you don't need extreme accuracy for a carry pistol, but if you have the dough go for it. You will have a gun that will run as good as any sloppy gun. Sheech!!
you get one dirty with south texas red dirt get it a little wet and those super tight guns stop like a pole axed ox. its a big reason i got rid of my custom 1911. couldnt take it outside work all day with it in the dust and dirt sitting in a holster and still have it function.

my colt 1911 series 70 is unaffeted by such conditions.

like i said its my opinion. i base it off experience with such guns. i believe that they are mostly smoke and mirrors paying premium price for a gun that doesnt run any better than a off the shelf gun.

if you want one because they are well crafted thats great. go for it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies, like I said I am new to this and was just looking for some direction. I personally like to customize and personalize everything I can. Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot some of the different 11's and compare them myself. I really enjoy shooting my r1, believe me any flaws at the range are my fault not the guns. To Olympus, not tring to pick at your analagy it was just the one I picked, sorry if I offended, I really appreciate your input! Thanks again to all!!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #13

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Another limiting factor on your R1 is going to be the GI sights. They will get you hitting center mass, but they're pretty limited in my opinion.

I understand the drive to customize and personalize your guns. I like that also. But I also learned early on that sometimes its cheaper in the long run to spend the money up front and buy a gun that already had everything you want rather than try to adapt and customize something you already own into something else entirely.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

If you have a 1911 custom built, you can specify just about whatever you want -- including how tight you want the slide to frame fit or anything else. I have custom Commander that started with a Colt 1991 Commander model - it has a match barrel & bushing, and (insert a massively long list of aftermarket parts, mods and tweaks) yet I planned to use it as a carry gun from the start...so it has enough play left in it to where it will run when it is downright grimy. Fairly large price tag but it was worth it.

On the other hand, there are a lot more options in the 1911 market than when I had that Commander built -- several of which have many of the same mods I had to have added to mine while still costing only a fraction as much. A couple good examples - the Ruger SR1911 and the new Ruger SR1911 Commander model. I have one of the 5" SR1911s and it is definitely worth a look if you are interested in a 1911 that is well equipped but does not cost a fortune -- it's a greater shooter. I haven't had any failures of any kind and it's got well over a thousand rounds of several different types of ammo through at this point.